the brass weight that you attach to your headstock for more sustain...

chrispsullivan

• Members

apparently marty friedman uses them on his yamaha sg guitars?
:idk:

I was just applying the HCAF mentality on that one for lulz. In all seriousness it does sound like snake oil, but even if it IS real, wouldn't better results be achieved through something like a compressor/sustainer pedal? Just sounds like one of those cork sniffer inventions.

• Members

I was just applying the HCAF mentality on that one for lulz. In all seriousness it does sound like snake oil, but even if it IS real, wouldn't better results be achieved through something like a compressor/sustainer pedal? Just sounds like one of those cork sniffer inventions.

i dont know it seems to make sense to me. and a compressor/sustainer cant improve the acoustic sustain of your guitar.

• Members

Its actually a plenty sound concept, adding mass to your headstock does effect resonance. Necks that are extremely resonant can often have dead spots because the neck can sometimes resonate very strongly at a particular frequency which in turn eats up a lot of the given string's energy. A couple of my PRS do this around A4. Adding weight to the headstock can help relieve this.

• Members

Ah good find. Hes saying something similar to what I said above; additional mass will bring more overall evenness to the notes by decreasing dead spots. Will that actually increase sustain? Depends on how you look at it, I kind of look at it more like decreasing loss of sustain. Which is kinda the same thing. :lol:

Archived