Difference between "volume" & "master"? don't laugh

saneff

• Members

I am new to electric guitar and just got my first amp for electric - Fender Mustang I. I know this is really stupid, but what is the difference between volume and master? When woudl you use one vs the other?

Also, my Les Paul has volume controls. Is there any reason to use volume on the amp or guitar over the other in certain situations?

• Members

normally the Volume is to control the volume of that channel only and the Master controls the overall loudness of the amp. If your amp has multiple channels you should use the channel volume to ensure all channels are at the same level, then use the Master to turn the whole amp up or down.

I just don't understand that at all. Channels? What do you mean by channels? It is a Mustang I. I am sorry, I just don't follow you. Sorry to be such a newbie idiot.

• Members

Your amp is unique, it doesnt actually have channels persay, just one. One volume knob? One channel. Therefore you have a one channel amp.

You have a modeller though so it's kind of cheating. See your preset knob? That will set it to a myriad of different amp sounds by simulating them, multiple channels are not needed or used in a modeller because it's only one at a time for the amps simulations.

Basically, select your preset, now you have an amp selected. At this point the volume will control the loudness of that particular amp being simulated, whereas the master volume will control how much volume the speaker itself is going to put out.

This can be particularly useful if for example you like to switch between clean and distorted tones, since theres more preamp drive in a distorted channel than in a clean channel, naturally you're going to have more volume difference between the two. Increasing the volume on the clean setting and decreasing the volume on the distorted setting can even them out, then use the master to bring up both volumes to a desirable level

In a traditional tube amp, the channel volume (in this case simply labeled 'volume') will control how much juice your feeding into the preamp, this in turn will create preamp tube distortion and minor volume increase. The master volume will feed a LOT more into the power section, and will exponentially get louder, a lot louder than the preamp can do, this will in turn give you power amp distortion. So in typical tube amps you balance the two of them out to get the best sound that you want out of it, what you figure to be the best mix of preamp distortion with power amp distortion. The obvious trick to this is volume, everyone wants a good amount of power amp distortion, but you have to get it real loud to get that distortion.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I just don't understand that at all. Channels? What do you mean by channels? It is a Mustang I. I am sorry, I just don't follow you. Sorry to be such a newbie idiot.

replace the word "channel" with "preset" and read it again, it's the same thing. Use the volume to make sure each preset is saved at the same level, so there is no volume jump when you switch presets. Then use the master to control the overall loudness of the amp.

Sorry there is no simpler way to explain this.

• Members

Generally speaking...

Volume: Regulates the amount of signal in the preamp. Usually increases both volume and overdrive/distortion.

Master: Regulates the strength of signal going into the power amp. Increases volume only.

Volume on 1 / Master on 5 = Loud & clean

Volume on 5 / Master on 2 = Overdriven but not extremely loud

Volume on 10 / Master on 1 = Low-volume heavy distortion.

• Members

Generally speaking...

Volume: Regulates the amount of signal in the preamp. Usually increases both volume and overdrive/distortion.

Master: Regulates the strength of signal going into the power amp. Increases volume only.

Volume on 1 / Master on 5 = Loud & clean

Volume on 5 / Master on 2 = Overdriven but not extremely loud

Volume on 10 / Master on 1 = Low-volume heavy distortion.

no, on his amp the Gain knob will do that.

Archived