Why does the effects loop suck on the Jet City/Soldano line?

butterguitar

• Members

There's nothing "wrong" with them.

They're just at line/pro/rack FX level.

most effects pedals are at instrument level, so when you plug an instrument level pedal into a line level loop, you wind up with a thin, quiet shadow of the sound you expect to hear.

replace it with something that can work at line level, and booya. instant heaven.

• Members

Soldano designed his loop this way because he feels it's what sounds best with his amps. He's right because so far every mod there is out there to make his loop work pedals has also a negative effect on the tone. I' know MANY Soldano users who modded their loop and ended up reversing it back to the original because the amp sounds better that way.

Just use rack effects through the loop, normally the effects that go through a loop are delay/verb etc and there are tons of great sounding racks out there. I am using a Lexicon LXP1 through my JCA loop and I'm yet to hear a pedal that sounds better than the LXP1 reverb. So it's win-win. Just choose components for your rig that play well with each other and you will be fine.

If you want to mod it, it's a quite simple mod and you can probaly DIY but be aware the amp will sound better with the stock loop. Which why he designed it like that.

• Members

I thought the issue had to do with the fx loop being before the master volume or something along those lines, and switching channels makes even line level fx units jump or drop in volume/or overload based on what channel the player is using.

:idk: I could be wrong, but I figured any real LA-session-hair metal-charlie sheen type SLO user would be using line level gear anyways, so trying to use pedals would be a non-issue IMO. Just sayin'. :idk:

• Members

I thought the issue had to do with the fx loop being before the master volume or something along those lines, and switching channels makes even line level fx units jump or drop in volume/or overload based on what channel the player is using.

:idk:
I could be wrong, but I figured any real LA-session-hair metal-charlie sheen type SLO user would be using line level gear anyways, so trying to use pedals would be a non-issue IMO. Just sayin'.

Before the master volume??? It's even before the fucking EQ!!!! :lol: But no issues changing channels with line level devices. As long as you have line level gear, it works just fine.

• Members

I could be wrong, but I figured any real LA-session-hair metal-
charlie sheen type
SLO user would be using line level gear anyways, so trying to use pedals would be a non-issue IMO. Just sayin'.

I WIN WHEN I USE RACK GEAR AND I WIN WHEN I USE PEDALS!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The volume issue has to do with the fact that the loop is before the masters and the preamp signal from the clean channel is much lower than the signal from the OD channel. So what you usually have is the master for the clean up much higher than the master for the OD in order for the actual volumes to balance out. Then, if you have an effect with a long trail off (like a long delay with lots of repeats) and you switch from OD to clean, the trails from the effect will suddenly jump up in volume because you're now applying the higher master volume of the clean channel to the strong signal left over from the OD channel.

• Members

Soldano designed his loop this way because he feels it's what sounds best with his amps. He's right because so far every mod there is out there to make his loop work pedals has also a negative effect on the tone. I' know MANY Soldano users who modded their loop and ended up reversing it back to the original because the amp sounds better that way.

Just use rack effects through the loop, normally the effects that go through a loop are delay/verb etc and there are tons of great sounding racks out there. I am using a Lexicon LXP1 through my JCA loop and I'm yet to hear a pedal that sounds better than the LXP1 reverb. So it's win-win. Just choose components for your rig that play well with each other and you will be fine.

If you want to mod it, it's a quite simple mod and you can probaly DIY but be aware the amp will sound better with the stock loop. Which why he designed it like that.

This.

I bought mine with a modded loop.

I had it un-modded with a quickness :)

Archived