how does one "dime" an amp and what does it do

• Members

ok turn it all the way up, then whats up with little wires going into different inputs???

That's channel jumping, so you can run both volumes at once to get more drive/ a different tone. That's separate from diming though which is, as others have said, cranking all the knobs up to ten.

• Members

jumping the channels gives it a little more gain by putting the two input triodes in parallel.

so one would put a small connector from one input to another and then one input for the actual guitar. i would like to try this but i dont know shit and dont want to destroy a marshall

• Members

There's a couple of ways to dime an amp. The first is to remove the headshell, turn everything to 10 and then throw dimes onto the circuit board for maximum tone.

The second is to paint fire, lightning bolts, confederate flags or camo on it.

B18Z48zyHHS._SL600_.jpg

• Members

so one would put a small connector from one input to another and then one input for the actual guitar. i would like to try this but i dont know shit and dont want to destroy a marshall

Plug the guitar into one of the two high gain inputs, then run a patch cable from the low gain input underneath your guitar lead to the other high gain input. You won't blow up your amp.

• Members

There's a couple of ways to dime an amp. The first is to remove the headshell, turn everything to 10 and then throw dimes onto the circuit board for maximum tone.

No, no, no, no, no. You have to drill holes in a dime and stick it in the V1 tube slot, then put the tube back in the socket.

• Members

i would bet that 95% of people who talk about diming an amp and how good it will sound, have never done so.

this x1000. diming an amp is the most moronic thing you could ever do. most amps when dimed sound like absolute shit. amps weren't designed to be dimed and doing so is a countdown to trouble.

• Members

i would bet that 95% of people who talk about diming an amp and how good it will sound, have never done so.

Indeed. My friends and I plugged a JCM into two cabs and turned everything to 10.

Then I retreated to thirty foot away and hit an E chord.

Just sounded stupidly loud and uncontrollable, really.

• Members

this x1000. diming an amp is the most moronic thing you could ever do. most amps when dimed sound like absolute shit. amps weren't designed to be dimed and doing so is a countdown to trouble.

Not Marshalls man! My JCM 800 is usually always dimed, sounds great.

• Members

Guess you've never owned a marshall eh?