Recommend me a combo for home practice and/or recording

mmmiddle

• Members

I am looking for a good small tube amp combo that sounds great at bedroom volumes. Unfortunately I really like high gain stuff. I am very much into punk music of all kinds. Hardcore '90s melodic punk is my favorite (early AFI, Pennywise, Strung Out, etc). After that certain good pop punk bands including new and old stuff (Descendents, ALL, Face to Face, Menzingers, Dopamines) and last the old school stuff. I like it all.

I also want a decent driveable clean channel though for my tube screamer and occassionally playing classic rock, hard rock, and blues.

Some thoughts I've had are toward the Orange Tiny Terror combo, the Marshall Class 5, or a Vox AC5. I could drive them with a good distortion pedal for my high gain maybe. But does Bogner or Mesa make any good low wattage combos?

What are your thoughts?

• Members

6505+ combo sounds decent at low volume.

if you are playing in a bedroom/apt only, why do you need tubes? just buy a podHD or something, get a solid state monitor and some headfphones.

Mesa .22 caliber does great sounds.

• Members

Blackstar HT-20 will cover about 95% of ANY music style that you would ever want to cover. 1-12'' sealed-back Celestion speaker, single EL34, clean/OD channels and emulated speaker output for headphones and/or direct line recording. this amp also LOVES overdrive pedals and cleans up very nicely. all for about 599 out the door brand new

• Members

Maybe I don't need tubes but a) I can never get along with solid state amps even when they have good tone. It's like the sound but not the feel. It's like putting a condom on my guitar playing. b) Also because I want to record with it.

Archived