Converting an old Tube Radio into an amp?

algernon7

• Members

Expect to find something like this, of which you end up removing about 90% because the tuner circuit occupying most of the chassis real estate and tubes isn't worth jack shit in a guitar amp. In the end you'll end up with a subpar power amp that was originally aimed to emit sound at conversation levels. Many may include strange feedback circuits that make the overdriving characteristics absolutely horrible. Overall, it's often not such a good idea. PA amps and organs are indeed a lot better starting point.

Philco-tube-radio-nico-MOD.jpg

• Members

Pretty much you salvage the chassis, and usable tube sockets, and the cabinet, knobs, etc. The transformers can be hit or miss whether they are usable, so that has to be checked. Everything else gets scrapped and you wire up a guitar circuit from scratch.

The old electrolytic caps are beyond their lifespan. The signal caps often have drifted out of tolerance and leak DC. Sometimes the resistors can be kept for other uses.

• Members

I have 4 old tube radios in my basement. A lot of them don't have proper isolation transformers and can send current to the guitar strings if you connect a guitar somehow. Try to find one with a RCA phono input. I think you can convert them easier. In any case, be careful.

• Members

Thanks fellas-

I definitely intend on being careful, that's for sure!

I think the simplest answer in this case is to use some of the parts and build a guitar amp from scratch that's intended for guitar. I've done some research online and that's the general consensus!

• Members

I have 4 old tube radios in my basement. A lot of them don't have proper isolation transformers and can send current to the guitar strings if you connect a guitar somehow. Try to find one with a RCA phono input. I think you can convert them easier. In any case, be careful.

This. Most tube radios you'll find are what are called "5-tube radios" with series string tubes, often things like a 35Z3, 50C5[?] or 50L6, etc. No power transformer, and a plastic case and knobs to keep the owner from getting shocked when s/he operates it.

That doesn't work so well when you've got a grounded guitar as part of the circuit. Don't even think about making a guitar amp from one of these if you value living.

• Members

or 50L6, etc. No power transformer, and a plastic case and knobs to keep the owner from getting shocked when s/he operates it.

That doesn't work so well when you've got a grounded guitar as part of the circuit. Don't even think about making a guitar amp from one of these if you value living.

+1

Though it'd give a whole new meaning to "electric guitar"...

• Members

Thanks fellas-

I definitely intend on being careful, that's for sure!

I think the simplest answer in this case is to use some of the parts and build a guitar amp from scratch that's intended for guitar. I've done some research online and that's the general consensus!

Yeah, PA and Hi-FI amps (with phono preamps...in ye olden days, the extra preamp for the turn-table and tape player was built in the receiver, not that actaul turntable or tape player) usually can be converted, though the older and more dormant the parts, usually the less they can be used.

But radios really need to be redesign.

Archived