Talk me INTO/OUT Of - MARSHALL VINTAGE MODERN 2266 (50W Head)

Johansolo

• Members

cool cheers.

well i was hoping to go over and try it out tonight and throw money at the seller...but kids these days dont seem to want to put in any effort to sell an amp to a buyer who has cash...apparently he has to pick it up from some storage and he said he'd do that sometime this week?!?! what a crock of crap. ive told him to call me when he has the amp.

Well how old was he?

I'm young but responsible when it comes to buying and selling. I'll make sure the buyer/seller test everything perfectly and that I can make a sale as fast as possible.

Because seriously... which musician don't want to drive home as fast as possible to play with a new toy :D

Sucks for him man, he gave up a sale. His loss. And YOU my friend can spend some of that money on your lovely wife which gave you permission to get such an expensive item.

I say grab a beer and enjoy :thu:

• Members

i know its crazy...if it were me trying to sell...i would have the item ready for buyers..

i phoned him last night and said can come tonight in the next hour and he said hes out and will call me tommorow (which is today)

i sent him a text today saying im free name a time and he said he doesnt have it and is will get it "sometime" during hte week.

bah

• Members

i had a look at it again and its now 1000???. my mate had a vm 2466 and he only wanted 800 for it its got some small nicks in it its the one i borrowed but didnt want to trade the 6505 for it if you want i can contact him if he still has it if you want it

• Members

^ yeah just checked...hes raised the price...im suspicious now and im going with my gut feeling of not bothering with it.

also RE the 2466...100W is too much of a severe overkill for me and ill just stick to my plan on eventually snagging a soldano hot rod 50 or a Cornford of some sort.

• Members

yeah its suspicious and the 2466 is wayy overkill which is a reason why i didnt take it as well the soldano hot rod 50 is an awesome amp but wouldnt it be similar to the jca you have ??

• Members

I'm actually a big fan of the VM. I brought one on a whim and loved it (sadly no gigging means my Tweaker does all I need). I could never leave the body and detail controls alone as they are very 'tweak-able".

As has been mentioned for a single channel amp it responds so well go your pick attack as well as the guitars volume knob. It has a nice smoothness (not to smooth though) to it, and between that and the DSL I had I would take the VM over it.

• Members

yeah its suspicious and the 2466 is wayy overkill which is a reason why i didnt take it as well the soldano hot rod 50 is an awesome amp but wouldnt it be similar to the jca you have ??

the HR50 i played at that crank gear day just owned my soul...i looked into picking up a JCA50 but the main difference im led to believe are the transformers, which soldano dont sell to anyoe...and ive seeen HR50s go for around $2000-2400 so maybe one day ill grab one...if the timing/price is right

the JCA20 i have is in pieces atm...waiting for some tolex and doing some mods tommorow. great little crunch machine. if you end up getting the JCA22, id love to do a comparison/youtubedemo.

• Members

when the jca22 comes to australia id get one but was looking at the blackstar ht20 at the meantime i know you have had both and you prefer the jca20 to tthe ht20 though

the only reason i picked the JCA20H over the HT20...is because i didnt need another channel changing amp+fx loop...just wanted a one channel amp that responds/cleans up with the guitars volume.

the HT20 is a sweet amp still...Blackstar and Jet-City have my pick for the best bang for buck modern tone boxes.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

It's 07/18/15. I've been using this 50 watt head on the matching VM straight-back cab for about a year now so here is my experience so far. First I have been playing for 38 years now and have made the journey starting with entry-level gear all the way through many of the pro offerings out there. Since this is a review of the VM I won't resort to the saying that the "tone is in your fingers, not the gear" proverb however...it is! Nevertheless, it's awesome to have good gear and for me the VM qualifies. The build quality of both the head and cab is good, more solid then the DSL, TSL or JCM 800 that I've played. As for the sound, first I'll point out something so obvious I apologize in advance but!...you have got to match the right guitar with the right amp. Some just have a great fit and for me there have been times when I was hating on an amp not getting the tone or even close then change guitars and oh, wow, that's much better! I've been using a Gibson LP 1960 Classic re-issue, an SG Standard and an American Standard strat with extremely good results live and in the studio. For a bouncy clean I'll use the low dynamic setting no mid boost with the LP then add it when using SG or strat. Most of my wheelhouse is classic rock and I can get there all day with a few good pedals into the front of LD setting. I achieve 80's metal easily using the high dynamic range but can't speak to how the amp does for other genres. The fx loop functions as expected and does not degrade my tone. The reverb is dark and lush in an understated kind of way. The eq is gentle and works well to refine a tone that is already there. This is also one those amps that really connects to you through the volume and tone pots. That's it. This is a production grade pro level amp that when logically matched with the right guitar rig can stand on it's own in a bedroom or on a stage.

Archived