Talk me INTO/OUT Of - MARSHALL VINTAGE MODERN 2266 (50W Head)

Johansolo

• Members

I've been playing a VM for about a year now and have own(ed) both the 2266 and 2466. My favorite Marshall I've owned and currently in production.If you're looking for a no frills, rock machine, DO IT. To me the amp feels smoother because of the KT66's. What I like most about this amp is that it is crazy responsive to picking dynamics. The High gain mode is perfect to me, with none of the fizziness I got from my DSL. The VM is deceptive because even though there is just a single channel, you can shape the gain drastically with the Detail and Body...lots and lots of tones available.

What I like about the VMs (can be a con to some people) is that you can push them harder because to me they aren't as loud as other Marshalls...I remember reading from the designer that the 100 only puts out 100 at full bore, and around 75 the rest of the time, and around 35 watts with the 50.

Another con - don't expect a Fender Blackface clean tone, it was designed for the High Dynamic Range and is single channel, but it cleans up decently. Reverb also isn't great.

Also, if you suck, the amp will suck. It's also purple, I dig that.

• Members

Definitely not one of Marshall's strong points.

Meh through and through.

People will say otherwise though.

An 800 would kill it dead.

I blew up the 100w'r playing at home.

The fx loop is JUNK!!

Don't expect to be able to get a volume jump from the boost pedal in the loop trick. Doesn't work.

It has return clipping LED's in the circuit which prohibit the above and the PI is also getting smashed straight away in an effort to fake power amp distortion on the lower dynamic range.

It's badly made,

Sounds ordinary through and through.

Do not want.

The reverb is {censored}e,

I have had good recordings from it, but if you have nigh on any other amp in the room, it will make the VM sound very very dull, bland, ordinary etc etc

I don't have a lot of good things to say about it as there aren't a great deal of good things to say.

• Members

i myself have seen/heard a local touring band,1980s metal type, in my town use those amps exclusivly,weekend after weekend at a venue here. the lead guitarist plays them cheapie,usa faded gibson flyin v through a mid-size pedal board,bout 10 boss,mxr 1980s pedals,into the marshall,and out the tall vintage marshall 4x12 cab. the cleans are GREAT,as well the AC/DC CRUNCH,annnd lastly their BRUTALL DEATH METAL TOANZZ are really,really good!! i know the guitarist we r sorta GEAR WHORE FRIENDS, and he swears by that marshall vm amp is what rounds out their sig. tones!! in a live setting,THE VM ROCKZZZZZ!

• Members

Great amp! I personally think it kills the JVM in that it has that vintage Marshall vibe, but captures also a classic 70s/80s metal tone and straight ahead rock and blues. It has a nice organic feel to me and smoother tones with great crunch. The biggest thing with this amp is learning to dial in those big fat tones.

• Members

Love it recorded, love other people playing them but hate playing through them myself. theres something that feels un-natural in the way the amp reacts, especially at high volumes. Not a bad amp but its not as good as the JCM900 or the DSL.

• Members

I had the 2466. Great amp!!! It does need to be cranked but will not be as loud a normal 50 watt amp. It will do blues all the way to old school metal. If you want tight bass, this amp isn't for you. If you want two channels, this amp isn't for you. But if you want a great Rock N' Roll amp, get it. Robin Trower, Doug Aldrich, Paul Gilbert, and Slash (before his new sig) use it. It's a great sounding amp but it isn't for everyone.

• Members

geez...wasnt expecting as much of a split response like this.

on paper and what ive read...it sounds like this amp is right up my alley...ie simple set one sound and use your guitar volume/tone and picking dynamics to coax diffrent tones.

im not after that tight huge low end metal high gain tone, more that clean on verge of breakup crunch that isnt fizzy. ive owned 2 marshalls but they werent exactly the best models (JCM600,TSL100) and recently got to try out a bunch of 800/900/DSL50/100s and and old JMP...and i they all sound ok until i heard the old JMP.

so looks like ill have to go see/try this VM 50W out for myself.

anyone owners of the VM experience any reliability issues? horror stories? etc

• Members

geez...wasnt expecting as much of a split response like this.

on paper and what ive read...it sounds like this amp is right up my alley...ie simple set one sound and use your guitar volume/tone and picking dynamics to coax diffrent tones.

im not after that tight huge low end metal high gain tone, more that clean on verge of breakup crunch that isnt fizzy. ive owned 2 marshalls but they werent exactly the best models (JCM600,TSL100) and recently got to try out a bunch of 800/900/DSL50/100s and and old JMP...and i they all sound ok until i heard the old JMP.

so looks like ill have to go see/try this VM 50W out for myself.

anyone owners of the VM experience any reliability issues? horror stories? etc

Yeah, you need to go try it. It's one of those amps you either love or hate. I loved it. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with it. The problem I had with mine was the reverb. It's a digital reverb and sometimes it wouldn't boot up on the first try, so I would just turn the amp off and then back on again. Here is a forum dedicated to the VM: http://marshallvintagemodern.com/index.php Of course, almost everyone over there loves the VM.

• Members

Any argument talking you out of it won't work, except for one.

You have to know it ain't a pre-95' recto.

i personally have a dislike for the rect series...i used to use a 2 channel dual rec and 3 channel dual rec (was sharing a rehearsal space with 2 other bands) and i just preferred my framus cobra for that high gain sound. ive also clocked plenty of hours on the road king II and ive just decided i dont like THAT sound. im more a mark/electradyne kinda guy.

• Members

you have to try it out first man as i had one a 2466 and jcm900 mkIII and a 2204 as in my perthbands thread

^ i noticed you recently sold youre 900/800...did you sell your 2466 to jim/KH-guitarfreak by any chance?

• Members

na he already had one i borrow id off my mate who wanted to swap for my peavey 6505 it was a good amp but the 6505 was better for me but you have to try it first i hated it for a few days then after tweaking got it to sound good i liked it better than the 900 and was on par with the 800

• Members

cool cheers.

well i was hoping to go over and try it out tonight and throw money at the seller...but kids these days dont seem to want to put in any effort to sell an amp to a buyer who has cash...apparently he has to pick it up from some storage and he said he'd do that sometime this week?!?! what a crock of crap. ive told him to call me when he has the amp.

• Members

cool cheers.

well i was hoping to go over and try it out tonight and throw money at the seller...but kids these days dont seem to want to put in any effort to sell an amp to a buyer who has cash...apparently he has to pick it up from some storage and he said he'd do that sometime this week?!?! what a crock of crap. ive told him to call me when he has the amp.

What??? Selling something and it is in storage???? What a pinhead... Good luck with this, sounds like its going to be hassle...

Archived