Tube vs. Solid state (loudness)

azmyth

• Members

So which is louder a 1000w top-o-the line amp running full steam pushing frequencies from 5-15Hz (through a speaker of coarse) or a 1w bedroom amp running balls out at full range frequencies?

The 1000w of coarse! Problem is I don't hear anything and now I don't feel good either and I refuse to explain that to anyone. Why?

Because there's speakers involved LOL!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly why I wouldn't ask someone to explain.

And as for some of you it's about an amp NOT speakers! One plays back louder. "Which one and WHY?"

Remember he's asking about the amp NOT the {censored}ing speakers {censored}!

Speakers are making the sound you {censored}ing idiot.

He was asking about volume so yes he was talking about speakers you dumb {censored}.

If you're trolling then fair play, you got me.

If not then how do you even get your pants on in the morning?

To answer your equally stupid question above the answer is it depends on the speakers.

1000Watts into a low efficiency speaker set (say > 93dB per watt) vs 1watt bedroom amp through a well constructed, closed backed cab loaded with high efficiency speakers, the 1 watt amp will be louder.

It's "of course" by the way. Some of your posts read oddly like a Joey Dahlia post...

• Members

So which is louder a 1000w top-o-the line amp running full steam pushing frequencies from 5-15Hz (through a speaker of coarse) or a 1w bedroom amp running balls out at full range frequencies?

The 1000w of coarse! Problem is I don't hear anything and now I don't feel good either and I refuse to explain that to anyone. Why?

Because there's speakers involved LOL!

Actually you're wrong - loudness is a psychoacoustic phenomenon, so the 1w amp would be louder. If you can't hear it, it's not loud. Even if it's making the building vibrate apart.

What an idiot.:rolleyes:

• Members

Jeeeeeesus.

If you want to play on level ground, you run a 1K sine wave through the input and measure the output peak to peak on an o-scope to verify that you have exactly the same output power. Any other "study" uses too many variables.

Electrically speaking, a watt is a watt is a watt. It's already been explained WHY tube amps "sound" louder than SS amps. But let's ignore the fact that a NMV Marshall that is advertised at 100 watts could easily be measured at 175 watts full tilt, as that is simply too easy of an explanation.

Run a 1K sine wave through a tube amp and a 1K sine wave through a SS amp, running the exact same output wattage with the exact THD into the exact same speaker, and I bet you dollars to donuts that their volume (using a proper meter) would be within 1% of each other.

• Members

Run a 1K sine wave through a tube amp and a 1K sine wave through a SS amp, running the exact same output wattage with the exact THD into the exact same speaker, and I bet you dollars to donuts that their volume (using a proper meter) would be within 1% of each other.

Is anyone saying otherwise?

• Members

Is anyone saying otherwise?

Troll McTrollerson is trying to play the variables game. "What if I stand on my head while this one is playing, and don't while this one is playing?"

It's the same damn argument that happens every time - and the real answer is "it depends on all of the variables in play".

• Members

When your looking at wattage..

lets say you had a 100w solid state amp sitting next to a 5w Class A tube amp. Which would be louder?

Well considering the variables aren't to exreme I would say the ss. That is if watts made sound but what I've learned since then is.................

• Members

Well considering the variables aren't to exreme I would say the ss. That is if watts made sound but what I've learned since then is.................

SHUT THE {censored} UP, DUMBASS. Many people who do this electronics {censored} for a living have told you you're wrong.

Misspellings aren't helping your case any.

Just go away.

• Members

yeah, my crate v33h also seemed louder than my friends marshall hybrid amp at 100w as well. and my mesa dual rectifier like swallowed his marshall in terms of volume, at the same wattage.

And my guess is your right. Why I don't know (there I admit it but i tried) I do agree though that your right. If anyone else disagree's with us than owell.

As for Trolling:

speaker

cord

V30

watts

algebra

manufacturer

psychic phenomenon (wtf)

• Members

SHUT THE {censored} UP, DUMBASS. Many people who do this electronics {censored} for a living have told you you're wrong.

Misspellings aren't helping your case any.

Just go away.

Look I know their right. What I'm saying (not speaking for the poster) is to my "ears" sometimes the lower wattage one with no other variables is louder and sometimes even with the the variables. Now suddenly what the ear hears is not a factor unless it comes to tone I guess.

In the real world though I believe the poster is correct in other statements he made because I've experience this phenomenon as well. Besides how would you know you weren't even there. So I guess your calling him a dumbass as well even though you weren't there just like me. And I'm trolling?

• Members

Not trolling, my good fellow!

Interesting stuff if you want to know about things like loudness.

Thanks for not going for my throat.

Apparently one dumbass ask a question and another one joind in. (me) I made the mistake of agreeing with him about one being louder or not and tried to share my thoughts on why. Come to find out I'm WAY off base so everyone eats my lunch and cries when I puke it back up on them. AND THE REAL BITCH IS he {censored}ing bailed on me dude, wtf!!!!

• Members

Perceived and overall "loudness" has more to do with speaker area. A 30W or 50W amp with a 412 will sound "louder" than 100W through a 112 or something. This question is incessantly aksed by bass newbs and is annoying as {censored}. Put 300W through an 810 and that'll get you MUCH further than 500W through a 210 or 115. It's pretty simple.

• Members

Perceived and overall "loudness" has more to do with speaker area. A 30W or 50W amp with a 412 will sound "louder" than 100W through a 112 or something. This question is incessantly aksed by bass newbs and is annoying as {censored}. Put 300W through an 810 and that'll get you MUCH further than 500W through a 210 or 115. It's pretty simple.

But what if it's toob? And I am playing a bass guitar that's orange? And it's tuned to A#? And I'm simultaniously putting my head and rubbing my stomach?

• Members

Yeah I knew that much. But I have experienced a VERY noticable perceived volume change with only an amp swap that has the same rated power.

Imo generally speaking its seems to take a 100w ss amp to match the volume of a 50w tube amp. Either one is loud enough just one seems to be louder when it comes to tube vs. ss. In most cases thats what I run into. Me and a buddy were comparing my 100w tube head to his 350w ss in terms of volume. We didn't think the ss amp was really much louder at all and I mean very little, and others in the room agreed. Variables well he was on a full stack I was on half so we put mine on milk cartons for it to be a little more fair. Yet that ss amp has such great specs man 350w!!

If some of you wish to go into great detail as to why than go ahead.

Really I don't care cause a 100w tube head is plenty and I'm a tube snob so why would I care about a 350w ss amp. OOOOh man it takes that much to keep up? I'll stick to tubes thanks.

If you really want to go into details then explain why time travel might or might not be possible cause the poster still seems to "think" that a 30w tube amp was as loud as a 100w ss amp. And get this I believe him and have heard many of 100w tube amps put ss amp ratings to shame. True story.

Archived