Bugera amps

bfloyd6969

• Members

They are inexpensive and reliability-wise better than, say, many modern Marshall amps. I haven't heard of any of them literally "catching in fire", though early runs did have problems with molex connectors that started to arc and burned the board/connector partially. All that, I think, is covered by their warranty service and the newer revisions do not use those troublesome molex connectors any more.

A tech acquintance of mine runs a Behringer authorized service. His opinion is that the quality of those amps is pretty much on par with most of the modern stuff produced in China and unreliability issues are overrated. Also, Behringer mostly copies cosmetic looks of amps, not so much the internal circuitry of them. At least that's what I've heard from folks repairing them and also experienced myself when checking out any of their circuit diagrams.

But the whole Behringer/Bugera thing is an Internet meme so don't expect to get much of discussion about them that has slightest touch with reality.

They are inexpensive amps so go from that in quality: You get what you pay for but what you pay for is not total crap. Don't expect them to be astoundingly awesome, but realistically there are likely far worse products that cost much more simply due to brand recognition.

Exactly what my technician told me after opening my Bugera 333xl head. Owner since 2009. No problem at all. It sounded good, and after I put 4 Groove Tubes 12ax7 in the pre and 4 Groove Tubes EL34 for power amp, and my technician changed original output transformer with a Magnetic Component Classic tone, it sounds huge, believe me.

Total cost is similar to a used JCM 800 head, but I have a new amp, which goes from JCM 800 crunch to modern metal high gain.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I have a Bugera T 50 Infinium, basically new with all tubes replaced, got in a trade from a buddy. just wondering if there are any issues with it such as catching fire etc... as i am new to Bugera products.

• Members

The bugera amps that caught fire was one particular, early model. One of the internal modular connectors was undersized, and over time would get hot and melt/burn. I don't know that any amps actually caught fire. 

The T-50 is a newer amp so it shouldn't have this problem. And it's in a non-flammable metal case. Just use common sense and make sure the amp has adequate ventilation when it's in use. 

Archived