Bugera amps

bfloyd6969

• Members

Sorry for such a lame question, but are Bugera tube amps any good? I believe these to be a Behringer sub-product, and the Behringer products can be hit or miss which sparks my reason for this thread. The Bugera prices look pretty good but I wonder if the adage 'you get what you pay for' applies here... Thanks.

• Members

Sorry for such a lame question, but are Bugera tube amps any good? I believe these to be a Behringer sub-product, and the Behringer products can be hit or miss which sparks my reason for this thread. The Bugera prices look pretty good but I wonder if the adage 'you get what you pay for' applies here... Thanks.

Some of the early one caught fire, so they have a pretty bad rep. The QC on the newer ones is supposed to be ok though. But really, why pay for a copy of something when you can get the real deal used for the same price or not much more?

• Members

:lol: this will end well.

The truth IMO is that the newer bugera's work pretty well and sound good. They used to have a lot of reliability issues that so far I have seen has been resolved. They aren't the best well built by a mile, but they should get the job done.

• Members

You will find lots of hate because of early QC issues and the fact the shamelessly copied other amps and their ad campaigns basically trumpeted that fact.

Apparently the QC has gotten better and plenty of people, from a strictly objective tonal view, say they sound good.

I have 0 experience firsthand, that's just what I've gathered from various forums.

Unless you have your heart set on a new amp, or live in an area with limited used options, I'd check the used market first. There are killer deals to be had on top quality amps there. This I can attest to firsthand.

• Members

Some of the early one caught fire, so they have a pretty bad rep. The QC on the newer ones is supposed to be ok though. But really, why pay for a copy of something when you can get the real deal used for the same price or not much more?

I say the same thing to those who play Budda, Splawn, Top Hat, and every other Marshall clone. Good luck fighting that battle, though.

The bottom line is you have to play what sounds good to YOU. If I had to guess, I'd say these amps would hold up just fine for any hobby player. I don't know how reliable they are for gigging, but I have this to say about reliability: every amp company has horror stories and I've had problems with some of the more reputable companies myself. Everyone puts out a lemon every now and then.

• Members

I say the same thing to those who play Budda, Splawn, Top Hat, and every other Marshall clone. Good luck fighting that battle, though.

The bottom line is you have to play what sounds good to YOU. If I had to guess, I'd say these amps would hold up just fine for any hobby player. I don't know how reliable they are for gigging, but I have this to say about reliability: every amp company has horror stories and I've had problems with some of the more reputable companies myself.
Everyone puts out a lemon every now and then

This is true, but Bugera only has a one year warranty and with their earlier amps had widespread component failures. Most other higher end companies do not have those issues across the board like Bugera did because of their earlier quality standards.

• Members

They are inexpensive and reliability-wise better than, say, many modern Marshall amps. I haven't heard of any of them literally "catching in fire", though early runs did have problems with molex connectors that started to arc and burned the board/connector partially. All that, I think, is covered by their warranty service and the newer revisions do not use those troublesome molex connectors any more.

A tech acquintance of mine runs a Behringer authorized service. His opinion is that the quality of those amps is pretty much on par with most of the modern stuff produced in China and unreliability issues are overrated. Also, Behringer mostly copies cosmetic looks of amps, not so much the internal circuitry of them. At least that's what I've heard from folks repairing them and also experienced myself when checking out any of their circuit diagrams.

But the whole Behringer/Bugera thing is an Internet meme so don't expect to get much of discussion about them that has slightest touch with reality.

They are inexpensive amps so go from that in quality: You get what you pay for but what you pay for is not total crap. Don't expect them to be astoundingly awesome, but realistically there are likely far worse products that cost much more simply due to brand recognition.

• Members

Sorry for such a lame question, but are Bugera tube amps any good? I believe these to be a Behringer
sub-product
, and the Behringer products can be hit or miss which sparks my reason for this thread. The Bugera prices look pretty good but I wonder if the adage 'you get what you pay for' applies here... Thanks.

Highlighted everything you need to know.

• Members

Wow... well, thanks for the replies everyone. I really had no idea there were so many controversal views on them. I'm coming from a long acoustic only stint and just getting back into the electric scene. I used/owned some Behringer gear before in the past and have had both great and not so great experiences with them. I'm mainly looking at the little Bugera 5 watt combo and then the Bugera 2x12" extension cab. I guess comparable gear would be the Epi Junior and maybe the little Blackheart setup...

• Members

Wow... well, thanks for the replies everyone. I really had no idea there were so many controversal views on them. I'm coming from a long acoustic only stint and just getting back into the electric scene. I used/owned some Behringer gear before in the past and have had both great and not so great experiences with them. I'm mainly looking at the little Bugera 5 watt combo and then the Bugera 2x12" extension cab. I guess comparable gear would be the Epi Junior and maybe the little Blackheart setup...

Check out the smaller VHT stuff. I am willing to bet you would be much happier with their offerings.

• Members

You have to consider this. If you are gunning for a specific type of amp, say a plexi, the bugera copy new with a 3 year warranty is going to be at half or third of a price of a real plexi even in europe. Even if you resolder it change the tubes and rebadge it it will still cost less. Even less than a used one.

If you are on the hunt for a peavey though then the bugera plus the cost of new tubes is not worth it because it brings you at about the same amount with a used 5150 or XXX. If you do find a bugera for the price of a good pedal then buy it just for the heck of it. JCM 900, another amp that bugera copies can be found in europe for as low as 300 but nobody appreciates them much anyway.

Still if I planned to gig with one I wouldn't risk it going with a bugera.

And some economy has been applied to the materials of the cab, MDF at best, heavy and with not so great bugera speakers.

Archived