Phaser in the effects loop? yay or nay?

butterguitar

• Members

Im trying to get a cleaner tone for my lead sound through my Marshall. I have a MXR phase 90 that I use as a solo boost, but I am wondering should I leave the phaser in front of the amp or should I put it through the effects loop? I have a Boss Super Chorus and a DD-3 delay in the effects loop and it sounds good. Im just wondering if it would dirty up my sound any. I've tried it and it sounded too prosessed to my ear.

Maybe Im losing it lol.

• Members

Im trying to get a cleaner tone for my lead sound through my Marshall. I have a MXR phase 90 that I use as a solo boost, but I am wondering should I leave the phaser in front of the amp or should I put it through the effects loop? I have a Boss Super Chorus and a DD-3 delay in the effects loop and it sounds good. Im just wondering if it would dirty up my sound any.
I've tried it and it sounded too prosessed to my ear.

Maybe Im losing it lol.

I think you answered your own question here.

• Members

I like my evh phase90 in front of the amp. I put my tubescreamer after the evh also.

My boss chorus in the loop causes volume drop. Im envious that you can run yours the right way so to speak.

Yeah I used to run my Chorus in front of the amp, but it was just so noisy...harmonics would die off and sustain would cut.

• Members

In my experience, on overdriven sounds, a phaser sounds clearer but more extreme in the loop, and muddier but subtler in front of the amp. Do you want to phase a distorted tone or distort a phased tone?

This. When I use phasing it's for a pretty extreme "jet plane woosh" type sound, which is not achievable with the phaser pre-distortion, I can only get it by running it (MXR phase 100) in the loop.

• Members

these threads are always so funny. wouldnt trying both options in real life take less time and provide a better answer than coming online and asking people who really cant hear your rig? in the end if you like it one way but we all say do it the other way would you really do it if you thought it sounded worse??

• Members

Billy,

Lol thanks for pointing that out.

There are basically 2 main rules when it comes to effects loop:

- choose effects that match your loop level

- gain pedals (od, distortion, boosts etc..) should always go in front of the amp.

Other than that, it's whatever sounds best for you.

• Like 1

• Members

Always wanted to run 2 phases, pre and post distortion. I just tend to like both.

Like everyone else said, try it yourself and do what sounds good to you.

This. A boutique Phase 90 clone up front (too much bleed on the MXR's), and something much freakier in the loop. :thu:

But, since I can't afford a bunch of boutique pedals I just have one really nice phaser I run in the loop. (3ms Phaseur Fleur).

• Members

these threads are always so funny. wouldnt trying both options in real life take less time and provide a better answer than coming online and asking people who really cant hear your rig? in the end if you like it one way but we all say do it the other way would you really do it if you thought it sounded worse??

+1

I kind of feel the same way with "post your settings" threads, it's completely irrelevant in the end IMO. That said, my g system is set up so I can only do the MOD section in the loop, which is fine for most things. But, some classic phaser/univibe/other mod sounds etc. are only possible with it in front of the amp IMO. Which means I may have to get some more pedals eventually ;) So... yeah try out both and see which you like better :D

• Members

Troof.

Try both and see what you like. This isn't a purchase or anything, so just take the 10 minutes and try them both.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I have two orange amps:  a Micro Dark, and just got a CR120 head.  If I have just delay, reverb, and looper pedal in the effects loop everything sounds normal.  If I move my phaser and /or chorus pedal to the loop I can head the signal modulating even when the pedals are not engaged.  Am I doing something wrong?  If the modulation pedals are in my normal chain (after overdrive) I don't hear anything out of the ordinary and the pedals act like I would expect when engaged.

thanks