Roland Jazz Chorus + Pedals?

Lemon Crush

• Members

How well does a Jazz Chorus (or other SS super-clean amps for that matter), handle a distortion pedal? Or do some take pedals better than others? I love the cleans of solid states, but I'm into funk and stuff so I love that super fuzzy distortion like on Funkadelic's Maggott Brain....

• Members

My JC-120 hates dirt pedals. I've yet to find one that sounds good with it.

Lies! I love my JC-120 with dirt pedals. If you don't use the chorus or subtle Vibrato it can sound way too dry, but with either of those engaged it will sound warm and full. I personally use a Tonebone Hot British and boost that with a Rat for certain things. I also use the tiniest bit of vibrato just to activate the stereo spread.

• Members

My JC-120 hates dirt pedals. I've yet to find one that sounds good with it.

Try one with tubes. I liked it for the sound we were going for. It was SHARP when played alone, but in a band mix, it was surprisingly present without being an icepick. A buddy used an Ibanez Metal Charger into the 120 that used to reside in the studio we practiced in during the 80's, and he had decent tone. It might have been because he's one of the best guitar players in Norway at this point, though ... :D

• Members

I think the rather flat-EQ JC series likes OD's with a little bit of mids.

If you want to use a fuzz or something, it'll be very harsh and square-wave into the amp itself, but if you place a bit of mild overdrive between the two, you can control how much you want to smooth out the fuzz.

The flattish EQ also makes it a great modeller platform.

• Members

Try one with tubes. I liked it for the sound we were going for. It was SHARP when played alone, but in a band mix, it was surprisingly present without being an icepick. A buddy used an Ibanez Metal Charger into the 120 that used to reside in the studio we practiced in during the 80's, and he had decent tone. It might have been because he's one of the best guitar players in Norway at this point, though ...
:D

I've tried a Blackstar HT-Dual with it. Not good.

• Members

How well does a Jazz Chorus (or other SS super-clean amps for that matter), handle a distortion pedal? Or do some take pedals better than others? I love the cleans of solid states, but I'm into funk and stuff so I love that super fuzzy distortion like on Funkadelic's Maggott Brain....

it was a few years ago...but i remember using a BOSS SD-1 overdrive through one and it was awesome for a smooth lead tone...{censored}load of sustain and good bite..and with the chorus it sounded badass.

however, with a 'super fuzz' type of distortion the chorus may 'compress' the fuzz too much for your liking...when i used a true distortion type pedal through it (not an overdrive) i remember turning the chorus off if i wanted a drier, 'tighter' distortion sound.

imo... if you own the amp...i would haul it into a music store and try it out with the pedals you have in mind or haul your pedals to the amp to try before you buy.

it's a great amp...just depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Diz

• Members

My experience is that it needs a distortion pedal with a damn good eq so you can take out all the extra highs and bump the mids. That is, if you are interested in retaining the nice clean tone that a JC-120 has. It can be hard finding the right distortion pedal for a JC-120 in my experience. In fact, I never found one that I was totally happy with. I could never balance out the nasty sounding distortion with the nice sounding clean. Making a distortion pedal sound good through it always meant EQing a lot of the highs out of the JC which left the clean tone sounding poopy. I don't doubt that there is a distortion pedal out there that works with it though. Adrian Belew used to get a nice distortion sound out of his JC-120 but I have no idea what he used.

I agree with the other poster that likened it to hooking up a dirt pedal into a PA. It really wasn't far from that.

• Members

Not saying it sounds bad. Obviously, a lot of people seem to like the JC120 with dirt pedals. However for me, I thought it was slightly better than plugging a dirt pedal into a PA system.

+1

The JC120 is as high fidelity as a guitar amp gets. I gigged with one for 9 years, tried a bunch of different dirt boxes, ods, distortions, etc.

Bottom line: If you're looking for warm, smooth, "edge of breakup", tube amp style OD, you're going to be frustrated. Over-the-top fuzz & overtly distorted tones with an edge = can do.

Archived