6x10 cab wiring questions - help needed!

mosshowl

• Members

I've been trying to use search for answers, but as my unanswered questions have piled up, I thought I'd just post my situation.

First time ever re-wiring a cab, or working on an amp for that matter pretty much (disclaimer for dumb q's to follow). I've got an Traynor 6x10 cab that needed new (upgraded) wiring and a few new speakers.

I found a diagram online for how to wire a 6x10 (8ohm speakers) in parallel-series for a total ohm load of 5.33, so all good there (will be using it with a Traynor YBA-1a MKII head).

Question 1: on the speakers, there is a red mark by one of the terminals. This means it is the positive terminal, right?

Question 2: For wiring, I got 16-gauge speaker wire, and just tore the two strands apart. Am using one of those strands, cut up, for all wiring. This is ok, right? Meaning, I don't have to keep track of which strand was positive and which was negative? If it matters, they are both copper. I have a feeling this question is really unnecessary, but I want to be on the safe side.

Question 3: I removed the original (very thin) wiring from the cab: 11 lengths in all. But on the 6x10 wiring diagram I have, only 9 lengths are needed. What were the two extra lengths that were originally in the cab for? (I couldn't take note before removing the wires b/c it was missing two speakers and so was wired to function as a 4x10"; some wires from its days as a 6x10 were not being used.)

Question 4: On the cab's speaker jack, there are three connections that it looks like I could connect the speaker wires to. Which two do I connect to, and of those, how do I tell which is positive and which is negative? I believe the middle one is for a grounding wire? But maybe it's not needed for this application of the jack?

I think that's it -- any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

Question 4: On the cab's speaker jack, there are three connections that it looks like I could connect the speaker wires to. Which two do I connect to, and of those, how do I tell which is positive and which is negative? I believe the middle one is for a grounding wire? But maybe it's not needed for this application of the jack?

That's a stereo jack socket (TRS). If you're wiring the cab for mono use the TIP connection for + and the SLEEVE connection for ground; leave the RING (middle) connection unused.

Archived