Old Carvin cabs. Anyone got one?

diocide

• Members

I might need a 4x12 for a new project I'm going to be working with, and I came across a guy selling one of those old Carvin cabs with the metal diamond shaped grills. I think it's a 100B era cab. He replaced the speakers with Carvin branded eminence speakers.

Anyone play one of these, or the speakers? Are they Pretty decent?

• Members

I might need a 4x12 for a new project I'm going to be working with, and I came across a guy selling one of those old Carvin cabs with the metal diamond shaped grills. I think it's a 100B era cab. He replaced the speakers with Carvin branded eminence speakers.

Anyone play one of these, or the speakers? Are they Pretty decent?

I do. Old logo, Metal grille. It's my main gigging cab. HEAVY AS HELL. Weighs more than our Orange cab does. Sounds fantastic.

Gigshot:

248549_2274181220093_1415572126_2692200_

• Members

+3? I have one too. Same as Urban Ghandi and Loop. LOVED the stock 100watt Carvin (EV knockoff) speakers. Stuck a screwdriver through a cone after they were out of production and before the internet (for access to replacements). Replaced speakers with 25 watt greenbacks. Still love that cab. Rock solid.

• Members

I have an empty legacy 4x12 that I've caulked all the inner edge joints and added the metal bracing that mills acoustic puts in their cabs.

I literally cannot GIVE this cab away. It's a little beat cosmetically but so are the 50 year old marshall cabs that cost a fortune... oh well..

100_0110.jpg

100_0111.jpg

100_0112.jpg

Looks rough, but sounds like a million bucks.:thu:

• Members

I used to own an original Carvin 4x12 cab from 1978 (actually, the 1/2 shown below). The stock speakers in it did not sound very good at all. But after they were replaced, the can sounded just fine?

I think Carvin got their shart together as far as speakers go in the 1980s though. I heard they got a lot better? :idk:

79_vtseries-icon.jpg

• Members

I used to own an original Carvin 4x12 cab from 1978 (actually, the 1/2 shown below). The stock speakers in it did not sound very good at all. But after they were replaced, the can sounded just fine?

I think Carvin got their shart together as far as speakers go in the 1980s though. I heard they got a lot better?
:idk:

79_vtseries-icon.jpg

This is true, Carvin improved the quality of their speakers and amps quite a bit in the 80's.

• Members

Actually, in the 70s, they offered lots of speaker choices, especially in their PA cab, as well as their guitar cabs. CTS, E-V, JBL, Altec, Emilar, Gauss, Reinkus-Heinz, etc. Their boxes have always been very sturdy and solid, although going downhill a bit in recent years.

• Members

So I asked the guy what speakers he put in and this was his response.

"threy're the gs12-75* from a few years back...... 75 watts,* 8 ohms.**** 8 ohhm cabinet."

So it's neither the 70 nor 100 watt speakers. I guess I'll just have to try them.

• Members

I think Carvin got their shart together as far as speakers go in the 1980s though. I heard they got a lot better?
:idk:

79_vtseries-icon.jpg

I have 2 of those exact cabinets I got almost 30 years ago.

Changed the grill fronts to look more like the Mesa cabs of that era.

I don't use them any more, they just sit in the spare room.

Thery are alright cabs.