What Cab goes nicely with a Blackstar HT-5R head?

mcmurray

• Members

Has anyone got the Blackstar 1x12 cab? can the speaker be changed in these?

They absolutely can be changed, but the cab will still be open back, which is a deal-breaker for me.

If you want an open back cab, go for it; nothing else will match the aesthetics of the amp better.

But before you change the speaker, try it out for a while & see if a change would really be worth it.

• Members

They absolutely can be changed, but the cab will still be open back, which is a deal-breaker for me.

I'm thinking the same thing mate. Found a closed back Orange 1x12 (Celestion V30) for a decent price locally, think I'll go with that.

Cheers

• Members

I bought a HT-5 head with the ht-110 cab to go along with it, there was a special going on to buy the mini stack and it was my second amp purchase. I've been playing for about 3.5 years. Thing sounded pretty good compared to the Line 6 spider amp I started with. Monday I picked up an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30 speakers with a closed back. All I can say is WOW, I really didn't know any better and the cab made a HUGE difference in the depth of the sound and the quality. I'm sure most of the guys who will answer have a lot more experience then I do but there is no way I'll ever go back to a single speaker.

• Members

I bought a HT-5 head with the ht-110 cab to go along with it, there was a special going on to buy the mini stack and it was my second amp purchase. I've been playing for about 3.5 years. Thing sounded pretty good compared to the Line 6 spider amp I started with. Monday I picked up an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30 speakers with a closed back. All I can say is WOW, I really didn't know any better and the cab made a HUGE difference in the depth of the sound and the quality. I'm sure most of the guys who will answer have a lot more experience then I do but there is no way I'll ever go back to a single speaker.

I dont think the difference youre hearing is the 1 vs 2 speaker. Its the 1x10 vs 1x12. A 12" speaker blows a 10" speaker away! Especially when it comes to the Ht5 head. :thu: Purely my opinion, but Ill be their are loads of others thatll agree!

• Members

Hey guys.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new HT-5R head, but can't decide which cabinet to use.

Should I go 1x12 or 2x12?

Considering a 1x12 Orange V30 cab. Would this be suitable?

So where exactly are you buying the head? And whats it going for? I did a Google search and all I got was an eBay listing for one. Who sells this thing now anyway?

• Members

I'm thinking the same thing mate. Found a closed back Orange 1x12 (Celestion V30) for a decent price locally, think I'll go with that.

Cheers

I dont think you can go wrong with the V30 paired with the HT5 heads. Ive tried other speakers/cabs and the others just didnt seem to do the amp justice. :thu:

FWIW: Im using a closed back Avatar 1x12 with a Vintage 30 for mine. :)

• Members

Fair enough, as I said I'm pretty green in general. I had a 75w Spider amp and moved to a 5 watt tube amp and noticed a pretty big change in sound. I didn't think 2 inches on a speaker would have that much impact, I thought it was a combination of 2" plus an extra speaker plus a larger closed cabinet. Thanks for setting me staight

• Members

Fair enough, as I said I'm pretty green in general. I had a 75w Spider amp and moved to a 5 watt tube amp and noticed a pretty big change in sound. I didn't think 2 inches on a speaker would have that much impact, I thought it was a combination of 2" plus an extra speaker plus a larger closed cabinet. Thanks for setting me staight

I was in the same boat years ago playing with a crappy Spider amp. Once I bought an actual tube amp - I was blown away! Nothing like it in the world! If you get a chance sometime, plug your head into a closed back 1x12 and see what your ears think. That 2x12 will definitely have a lot more "depth" Im guessing.

And welcome to the wonderful world of gear whoring! :p

• Members

If anyone is on a budget with this I think the Jet City JCA12s 1x12" cab is a solid choice, and it's available really cheap. $130 for an Eminence loaded oversize 1x12 is a steal.

It's what I'm using with mine, and it sounds great. :thu:

Blackstar-JetCityRig.jpg

• Members

I was in the same boat years ago playing with a crappy Spider amp. Once I bought an actual tube amp - I was blown away! Nothing like it in the world! If you get a chance sometime, plug your head into a closed back 1x12 and see what your ears think. That 2x12 will definitely have a lot more "depth" Im guessing.

And welcome to the wonderful world of gear whoring!
:p

Thanks and I will give it a try. As I said I am blown away by how much better the avatar cab sounds compared to the HT-110, I'd say close to the improvement moving from the Line 6 to the a tube amp. That big a change.

• Members

I'm on the market too for a cab with my mini amp Randall RM22.. current cab I use is a 4x10 celestion g10, not much bass as I wanted too unless I jacked up the density knob on the amp..

looking to prolly get a 2x12 with Hellatone 30 and hellatone 60!

• Members

Ordered HT-5R head and Orange PPC112 closed back V30 cab :thu:

Really looking forward to having a real amp and cab after years stuffing around with modellers and other crappy gear.

So where exactly are you buying the head? And whats it going for? I did a Google search and all I got was an eBay listing for one. Who sells this thing now anyway?

Well, I'm in Australia so we get shafted on the price as usual.

HT-5R: http://www.iconmusic.com.au/store/amps/electric-guitar-amps/blackstar-amps/blackstar-ht-5hr-5watt-all-valve-head-with-reverb.html

PPC112: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380357899176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

• Members

Ordered HT-5R head and Orange PPC112 closed back V30 cab
:thu:

Really looking forward to having a real amp and cab after years stuffing around with modellers and other crappy gear.

Well, I'm in Australia so we get shafted on the price as usual.

HT-5R:
http://www.iconmusic.com.au/store/amps/electric-guitar-amps/blackstar-amps/blackstar-ht-5hr-5watt-all-valve-head-with-reverb.html

PPC112:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380357899176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just curious, allegedly the HT-5R was going to add the ability to hear your speaker output as well as the emulated out...which is NOT a feature of the original HT-5. The HT-20 does it by using the master volume on the amp. I don't see one on the HT-5R. Anyone heard anything on this?

Archived