Vox AC30C2 vs Vox AC30HW2

lank81

• Members

Hi Guys,

Love the Vox tone but there's a decent price difference between these two. Now, I know why, MDF vs Birch Ply and Handwired vs PCB. Obviously the HW2 offers some upgrades. We all know people favor the handwired, some do it because of Mojo but we all know they are easier to repair. Outside of that ,and more of just "tone", does the C2 hold up? It won't be gigged with on a regular basis. More for jamming / recording, yes I know I don't need that much amp, but it seems to just have more oomph with the 2x12 30 instead of the 1x12 15. Thoughts?

• Members

The C2 definitely holds up. I play the Heritage Handwired Anniversary model, and chose it over the standard model for a few reasons. I did A/B them in-store, and there was a significant difference between the two (though I would approximate alot of it being the speaker choices). Whichever option you go with, I would say make sure you stick with the Celestion Blues as your option. They seem to hold the Vox tone a little nicer, sparkling the top end instead of making it shrill. They're very balanced and, coupled with the EF86 in the H2 model, they've just enough bottom end and midrange as well.

The C2 wasn't around when I picked up my amp though, but I've demoed both of the models you're considering in-store. If you're looking for more of a jamming/recording amp, may I suggest the AC15H1TV? Just as good, still gets to a respectable volume, and has both the EL84 & EF86 channels.

lg_ac15h1tv_left.jpg

• Members

I have the ac15 hw1x its a great amp and I had many like JVM, engl's peavey's and a few combos. This amp has such good tone but I like to boost it with a TS 808 for the classic rock and some 80's metal this will cover it all. I tried the 1tv has a awesome cleans but I didnt crank the gain, but I heard they had issues with these not working too good because of the design the preamp tubes not getting air inside the amp for thing. The new ones are re done better and easier to work on. I was going to get the heritage but the guy at the store said they had to send a lot back.

Archived