Marshall JVM205H vs. DSL50?

doomsdaymachine

• Members

I had a DSL100 and my buddy had a 205H, unfortunately not at the same time. I don't remember them sounding too much alike. The DSL is more loose, grainy, and buzzy. It sounds much better turned up. The JVM seemed more refined yet somewhat digital/processed. It excels at high gain tones far better than the DSL. Sounded fine at bedroom levels.

The DSL is a rock machine and turns into a metal machine with a boost. The JVM can do pretty much anything on its own. If you need versatility go for the JVM. If you just want to rock get the DSL.

• Members

I had a DSL100 and my buddy had a 205H, unfortunately not at the same time. I don't remember them sounding too much alike. The DSL is more loose, grainy, and buzzy. It sounds much better turned up. The JVM seemed more refined yet somewhat digital/processed. It excels at high gain tones far better than the DSL. Sounded fine at bedroom levels.

The DSL is a rock machine and turns into a metal machine with a boost. The JVM can do pretty much anything on its own. If you need versatility go for the JVM. If you just want to rock get the DSL.

Pretty much dead on.

• Members

I'll take a DSL over the JVM any day. The JVM sounds like a Line 6 model of a Marshall... not the real thing.

I'll give you that until it it comes to high gain, where all the smoothness and cleanliness makes the JVM ungodly. JCM 800 and plexi tones? The JVM is meh............. High Gain the JVM is almost unbeatable.

• Members

I'll give you that until it it comes to high gain, where all the smoothness and cleanliness makes the JVM ungodly. JCM 800 and plexi tones? The JVM is meh............. High Gain the JVM is almost
unbeatable

Maybe compared to other Marshalls. :lol: Personally, I think both are solid amps, with my preference going towards the DSL. The DSL is more straight forward and has a great crunch just like you'd expect from a marshall. The amp also has plenty of gain for thrash type tones etc. But doesn't get too saturated unless you slam the front end with a good boost. Overall it's got a nice mid-range response, emphasis on the upper mids, and gets real grindy with a lot of gain. A lot of people think the DSL doesn't get really heavy but they're definitely wrong. A boosted DSL with the gain cranked is PLENTY heavy. And it still retains a lot of clarity and note definition with the gain running wide open. Obviously it sounds loads better once you start pushing the speakers good. I loved how the DSL sounded through my 1960BV with 75s'/V30s in an x pattern. I liked the clean tones I got too. Although I didn't spend too much time playing cleans on it.

The JVM on the other hand, I didn't really gel with that much. I will say it had a pretty good high gain tone, but I too thought it sounded processed and less "organic" so to speak when compared to the DSL. Don't get me wrong, the JVM has more versatility than a DSL, and that's definitely a plus. I didn't spend too much time with it though. I only messed with it through a recto 4x12 w/v30s for about half an hour. I couldn't get a ballsy crunch out of it, medium gain stuff sounded pretty thin. It thickened up under high gain, but alas.. like I said, that was about the only aspect of the amp I moderately liked. I prefer a boosted DSL though. I never got a chance to boost the JVM though so I may have missed out. Oh well. Still a good amp, and even though I played around with the settings a good amount, I may just of not had enough time with the amp to find a sweet spot. I only spent about 5m on the clean channel so I can't comment really.

• Members

Wait a sec

The JVM actually sounds pretty damn good at lower house/bedroom volumes (maybe even better than DSL) :confused: I like the DSL, it can cover alot of ground, (add a boost to that bitch) the JVM is a lil more processed/compressed sounding imo and does the high gain stuff really well and has a bit more features on it..

Both are great amps, its just picking your flavor imo, DSL might be more 'hard rock', the JVM might be a lil more 'metal' if that makes sense, but both are solid amps just let your ears pick

:rawk:

• Members

JVM only sounds weak and processed at low volume, gotta crank it it's a Marshall.

Nope... it still sounds weak and processed at high volumes too. My '68 SLP and '83 2203 walked-all over it. It's sad, because some people like to compare it to a JCM 800 2203, which it sounds nothing remotely like.

Archived