Wiring a mono 4x12 cab to stereo - What's involved?

IKilledSifoDyas

• Members

I have an Avatar 4x12 mono cabinet that I want to turn into a stereo (only) cab. How hard is it to do yourself (the most complicated thing I've done close to something like this is change the pickups in both my guitars) and are there any good tutorials online? The cab already has dual inputs, so I don't think the jack will have to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

The jacks are undoubtedly wired in parallel, and quite probably the speakers are all wired to one jack, and then wires go across to the other jack.

Your cab is likely four 8-ohm speakers wired as a total of 8 ohms. You'll need to decide whether to wire the jacks as 2x 16-ohms or 2x 4-ohm. My pick would be 16 ohms, as many amps have two parallel outputs so you could run it as an 8-ohm mono using two speaker cables.

But anyway to answer your question, it's easy to do yourself - if you can swap pickups you can rewire a cab!

• Members

Here is the wiring diagram for your cab. It will be the one at the bottom. Compare that with the "series" wiring. You should see that the left side of the quad is a series wiring, and the right side of the quad is also a series wiring, both sides wired (in parallel) to the speaker jack.

Hunting around for some wiring diagrams I see that you've had this question mostly answered on another forum, so let us know if you need any further help.

Archived