Troubleshooting active pickup install

hrochard

• Members

I installed an EMG 81 in an Ibanez, and all of the soldered connections are perfect. The EZ connection is properly inserted. Yet, the pickup works only when I insert the instrument cord halfway. When I insert it all the way in, there is no output at all (well, there is, but it's extremely faint). It's a brand-new battery.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

• Members

I installed an EMG 81 in an Ibanez, and all of the soldered connections are perfect. The EZ connection is properly inserted. Yet, the pickup works only when I insert the instrument cord halfway. When I insert it all the way in, there is no output at all (well, there is, but it's extremely faint). It's a brand-new battery.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

Sounds like you have the output jack wired wrong. You did swap it out to a stereo jack right?

• Members

I found an old post on the Gibson forums where a guy was having the same problem. He got a response from someone on these forums who said that the input jack leads--which come prewired--are backwards. I can't imagine that's the case with all EMG-81s, or this would happen to everyone. But anyway, I tried switching them, and it works! But now the strange thing is that the tone pot seems to work backwards. But I don't care at this point. I'm tired of screwing with it.

Archived