Is it time for another POST YOUR RIG thread yet??

Nerine

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Mine.

I have to add that I don't think I have ever been happier with any other rig I have had.

(Box Of Rock and Plexi Drive not shown, oh and 2 PRS Custom 24's as well... I forget about those.)

285905_10150751691190315_862485314_20286

That strat is bitchin!!! Is it a newer relic'ed model? Love the neck on it

• Members

That strat is bitchin!!! Is it a newer relic'ed model? Love the neck on it

Thanks, It's a Custom Shop special order '57 Heavy Relic.

I've had it a few months now and I am digging the absolute {censored} out of it!

The neck wear is absolutely gorgeous. The back has no lacquer and is a V at the nut, moving gradually towards a flatter C at the heel.

It's one of the most alive guitars I have ever played. The whole body resonates with an almost acoustic-like quality.

It's a nice weight too, fairly light, but it sounds very fat.

I played nearly all the CS Strats I could when i decided on this one.

I tried out the Ybarra pickups, Bareknuckle's some other custom wound ones that I can't remember the name of, and funnily enough I settled on the Custom Shop Fender fat 50's as sounding the best. They had the most character and vibe. A nice open top end with good lows and good in the mids too. It's half the reason I went for this one really. It does get a bit noisy at higher gain settings, but it's a beat up old Strat, so it's allowed :)

I cannot say enough good things about it. I enjoy just looking at it to be fair..

I have been playing it literally all day today.

Anyway, i am gushing now.. :o

• Members

I've had it a few months now and I am digging the absolute {censored} out of it!

The neck wear is absolutely gorgeous. The back has no lacquer and is a V at the nut, moving gradually towards a flatter C at the heel.

It's one of the most alive guitars I have ever played. The whole body resonates with an almost acoustic-like quality.

I tried out the Ybarra pickups, Bareknuckle's some other custom wound ones that I can't remember the name of, and funnily enough I settled on the Custom Shop Fender fat 50's as sounding the best. They had the most character and vibe. A nice open top end with good lows and good in the mids too. It's half the reason I went for this one really. It does get a bit noisy at higher gain settings,
but it's a beat up old Strat
, so it's allowed
:)

I cannot say enough good things about it. I enjoy just looking at it to be fair..

Anyway, i am gushing now..
:o

Good looking relic for sure :thu:

But it's not an old strat :cop:

• Members

Good looking relic for sure
:thu:

But it's not an old strat
:cop:

Technically, no its not. I should have worded it differently. Or maybe used ol' instead.

However, having said that, it's as near as makes no difference...

It's all period correct etc, and if you removed the Custom Shop logo on the headstock, you'd be hard pushed to tell it wasn't 54 years old.

• Members

Technically, no its not. I should have worded it differently. Or maybe used ol' instead.

However, having said that, it's as near as makes no difference...

It's all period correct etc, and if you removed the Custom Shop logo on the headstock, you'd be hard pushed to tell it wasn't 54 years old.

I think fender CS stuff is generally 100% as good as anything out there as far as new guitars, and I would (and have) taken them over brands like Suhr, etc. I've got a CS '63 closet classic tele that is relicing nicely from use and it's a great guitar. But IMO they aren't the "same" as the real old ones which I've played a ton of. An Original 52 tele, '54, '59 and '61 strat stand out as the best of the old ones I've played, as well as my '63 too. I do think all things being equal that a good CS fender today WILL probably sound every bit as good as the old ones 50+ years from now, but do think the age is a big part of the equation. Old wood and old magnets in the pickups etc. just have a different sound to them. Lots of guys trash relics about the pre-worn thing, but I've played enough great-sounding ones at this point that I don't care about that stuff. Still wouldn't go as far as saying they're the same is all. Old pic of my CS tele:

P1000435.jpg

• Members

I think fender CS stuff is generally 100% as good as anything out there as far as new guitars, and I would (and have) taken them over brands like Suhr, etc. I've got a CS '63 closet classic tele that is relicing nicely from use and it's a great guitar. But IMO they aren't the "same" as the real old ones which I've played a ton of. An Original 52 tele, '54, '59 and '61 strat stand out as the best of the old ones I've played, as well as my '63 too. I do think all things being equal that a good CS fender today WILL probably sound every bit as good as the old ones 50+ years from now, but do think the age is a big part of the equation. Old wood and old magnets in the pickups etc. just have a different sound to them. Lots of guys trash relics about the pre-worn thing, but I've played enough great-sounding ones at this point that I don't care about that stuff. Still wouldn't go as far as saying they're the same is all. Old pic of my CS tele:

P1000435.jpg

I hear ya.

I actually played a bunch of Suhrs and they didn't feel as solid as this Strat. I agree the age on the wood and magnets will have an effect too.

To be fair, it's as close as I'll ever get to owning an original! :thu:

But yeah, having tried loads of CS Fenders, I'd never hesitate owning another :cool:

• Members

I hear ya.

I actually played a bunch of Suhrs and they didn't feel as solid as this Strat. I agree the age on the wood and magnets will have an effect too.

To be fair, it's as close as I'll ever get to owning an original!
:thu:
But yeah, having tried loads of CS Fenders, I'd never hesitate owning another
:cool:

My strat is a refin, but otherwise all original fwiw. I had it all checked out before I bought it by a guy that pretty much only works on vintage fenders/gibsons etc. It all checked out and I got it for a very good price back in '96 and it's worth a crapload now, but I still gig it regularly; I'm firmly in the old guitars are meant to be played, not sit in display cases set. My tele and 335 are both CS reissues and they're as close I can get for the forseeable future to the real thing too and they're great guitars and got them used for good prices but... I have played an original block '63 335 and it was ridiculously good :o:cry: Still, I'm not complaining, my tele and 335 are fantastic guitars in their own right.

• Members

Secksy!!!!! Still got the Marsha? Is that glow-in-the-dark tape on your pedalboard? If so where do you get it?

Yes sir. That is one amp that will never go anywhere. Its glow in the dark gaffers tape yes. You can get it from most online shops that sell gaffers tape.

• Members

I tried out the Ybarra pickups, Bareknuckle's some other custom wound ones that I can't remember the name of, and funnily enough I settled on the Custom Shop Fender fat 50's as sounding the best. They had the most character and vibe. A nice open top end with good lows and good in the mids too. It's half the reason I went for this one really. It does get a bit noisy at higher gain settings, but it's a beat up old Strat, so it's allowed
:)

Anyway, i am gushing now..
:o

Ive yet to play a CS Strat , but I sure want to.

• Members

I cant wait to finish the new rig off and post up some pics, just having my Vanquish Custom (mystique 009) tweaked, then i'm all ready to roll. I'll be sure to take some studio pics next week when we record our next single!

AWESoME POWER!

I am looking forward to checking it out, and rocking the mixer!

If it plays anything like those others that we had down the studio the other day, then, yeah! Awesome!