Dimarzio HSS wiring diagram help.

Sic666

• Members

Well this is my fisrt time soldering pickups and well i cant find not even in dimarzio webpage the wiring diagram for HSS setup. I was thinking of mixing the SSS diagram with the HSH diagram but in the end I might get confused.

The pickups that I'm they are all 4 conductor: HS3, HS2 and X2N. What I want is standard Vol and 2 tones controls or if it is possible 1 Vol for the humbucker only, 1 volume and 1 master tone for the single coils. And well a 5-way switch.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

go to the seymour duncan website. they have tons of diagrams.

they have one for the standard 1 vol, 2 tone but not the 2 vol and master tone.

the standard 1 vol 2 tone is under strat guitars:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

you may be able to change that one up a bit to get the 2 vol and master tone, but i'm not 100% sure how.

• Members

wait i can use those with dimarzio pick ups? Cause it's like 10 times more simple that the dimarzio diagram that i got.

I got a question how the hell do i get the soldering metal to get pasted to the volume pot for grounding? I cant manage to get them to paste it doesn't make sense.

• Members

To solder the wire bundle to the back of the pots you need a fair amount of heat. With a decent, lower wattage soldering iron (25 - 40W) you have to be patient. Get as much of the tip in contact with the pot surface, or existing solder and it will liquify when it gets hot enough. You can start adding a little new solder, as it warms, to speed up the process. If you have a crap soldering iron, you may not be able to do it.

Now for the wiring:

If you're OK with the original control setup.... I hope you know where the original wires were connected for each pickup. For each Dimarzio 4-wire, cut & strip each white & black wire, twist and solder these two together. These are only used when tapping for single coil ability in each humbucker. Now wrap a lttle electrical tape or heatshrink over the solder joint.

Now, each green and bare wire will get soldered to ground (back of the pot). The red wires will go to the 5-position switch, where the original pickup wires came from.

So, basically. The wiring diagram is exactly the same, you just have to deal with the extra wires that are provided for tapping.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

rd

• Members

To solder the wire bundle to the back of the pots you need a fair amount of heat. With a decent, lower wattage soldering iron (25 - 40W) you have to be patient. Get as much of the tip in contact with the pot surface, or existing solder and it will liquify when it gets hot enough. You can start adding a little new solder, as it warms, to speed up the process. If you have a crap soldering iron, you may not be able to do it.

Now for the wiring:

If you're OK with the original control setup.... I hope you know where the original wires were connected for each pickup. For each Dimarzio 4-wire, cut & strip each white & black wire, twist and solder these two together. These are only used when tapping for single coil ability in each humbucker. Now wrap a lttle electrical tape or heatshrink over the solder joint.

Now, each green and bare wire will get soldered to ground (back of the pot). The red wires will go to the 5-position switch, where the original pickup wires came from.

So, basically. The wiring diagram is exactly the same, you just have to deal with the extra wires that are provided for tapping.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

rd

Thanks. As for the soldering iron is a craftman so I guess is good.

Ive done most of the stufff that you suggested me though in the hsh diagram the white and black of the HB is soldered to the 5 way not were the red ones go the other side where theres no spring but on the singlecoils i've done that.

What I'm really doing is mixing the hsh wiring diagram with the sss diagram I dont know why the hell dimarzio doesnt have a ssh diagram on their site.

I've burned my fingers like 4 times doing this. lol Once was pretty {censored}ing dumb grabed the soldering point with my index finger and thumb. LOL And its my fretting hand but the callouses help.

• Members

If the white & black are soldered to the 5-way, then that is for switching to single coil mode for that humbucker. I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Think of it this way.... Once you solder the black & white together, you are only dealing with 2 wires (+ the bare one, but that is always ground). With those 2 wires, your humbuckers can now be wired EXACTLY the same as the original singles were.

Also, when you say HSS, that would indicate humbucker, single, single. BUT, that is just describing the physical appearance of what you're trying to do. In reality, the HS2 & HS3 are humbuckers too. They're just in a single coil-sized package. I just installed 3 single coiled sized humbuckers in my strat a few weeks ago, all Dimarzio. Don't make it too complicated and try to mix & match diagrams. If you aren't tapping the hb's, once you solder the black & white together, you can use the SSS wiring diagram.

• Members

If the white & black are soldered to the 5-way, then that is for switching to single coil mode for that humbucker. I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Think of it this way.... Once you solder the black & white together, you are only dealing with 2 wires (+ the bare one, but that is always ground). With those 2 wires, your humbuckers can now be wired EXACTLY the same as the original singles were.

Also, when you say HSS, that would indicate humbucker, single, single. BUT, that is just describing the physical appearance of what you're trying to do. In reality, the HS2 & HS3 are humbuckers too. They're just in a single coil-sized package. I just installed 3 single coiled sized humbuckers in my strat a few weeks ago, all Dimarzio. Don't make it too complicated and try to mix & match diagrams. If you aren't tapping the hb's, once you solder the black & white together, you can use the SSS wiring diagram.

Oh ok cool. Well ill leave it with the black and white soldered so that I could coil tap it. I like versatility though I only use the bridge humbucker only all the time.

Thanks again you have been very helpful.

Archived