Marshall TSL 60 users?

slicepaperdavid

• Members

I have the option to trade my amp for this baby. Its a head and I'll be getting a Marshall JCM 800 1960 cab to go along with it. How do they sound for raw brutality? I know cleans will be decent at best but can these slay, old school, Marshall style? Whats the going price for a TSL 60 these days? Im close to pulling the trigger.

• Members

I'm the opposite, I have no love for the tsl60. It just doesn't have the guts to pull off anything of significance.

The TSL100 is pretty cheap on the used market, is such a better amp and I think the best of the jcm2000 range (I've owned all the heads multiple times - there's a reason I only have a tsl100 left!)

Depending on what you're trading for it, I'd be inclined to pass.

• Members

I'm the opposite, I have no love for the tsl60. It just doesn't have the guts to pull off anything of significance.

The TSL100 is pretty cheap on the used market, is such a better amp and I think the best of the jcm2000 range (I've owned all the heads multiple times - there's a reason I only have a tsl100 left!) Depending on what you're trading for it, I'd be inclined to pass.

After owning (3) DSL's, and a TSL60, I'd have to disagree. The DSL's are more raw sounding than the TSL, and the better of the two, in my opinion. And I agree with a couple posts up - the footswitch is JUNK. Cheaply, & poorly made. Mine ARRIVED broken.

But, you can get great tones out of the TSL. The key, is good tubes, & proper bias, aws well as speakers/cab/guitar.

• Members

i had a 602 combo. Sold it. The clean was decent but the crunch didn't do it for me, the "wolverine" speakers in the combo didn't do it any good either. I think you have to rebias/retube/rewhatever these to get the best out of them.

• Members

Had a TSL60 and DSL100. The TSL loop killed it for me, its parallel. I could never get a DSL to sound great due to the shared EQ. The green channel is so much thicker. It makes the red channel sound thin, yet its not. The DSL green will do better old school Marshall tone than the TSL60. The 60 has only cleans and more modern sounding gain. The TSL100 fixes all those issues.

The all the JCM2000's will get heavy boosted. Alone they have plenty of gain but they are pretty loose.

• Members

What amp are you trading?

Matchless Sptifre clone. Im leaning pretty strong on not making the trade. Ive heard/read way too many negative comments on the amp, Im going to sell the Spitfire and pick up a Marshall Artist 3203 and pocket the difference instead. Apparently the 3203 nails the JCM 800 tone I'm going after. Thanks for all the input lads.

• Members

Matchless Sptifre clone. Im leaning pretty strong on not making the trade. Ive heard/read way too many negative comments on the amp, Im going to sell the Spitfire and pick up a Marshall Artist 3203 and pocket the difference instead. Apparently the 3203 nails the JCM 800 tone I'm going after. Thanks for all the input lads.

Why not just get an 800?

• Members

What's your budget?

Looked into the DSL series? IMO they sound much better than the artists and TSL60 and can be found from ~$450-600. You can definitely get some 800-esque sounds from the green channel. A few hundred more and you can look for a JVM205.

Archived