That one armed hack drummer from Def Leopard vs Lars Ulrich..

FearTheVoices

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:facepalm:

whats wrong with lars' drumming exactly?

obviously there are faster, more technical drummers by the hundreds, but for what metallica does, i don't get it, whats so bad about it?

Hmm, well speaking only for myself, I always thought his drumming was just boring and monotonous. Also, the sound he preferred on most of their hits is kind of thin and weak sounding. I like big powerful sounding drum hits and he seems to like having fast ticky drum sounds.

• Members

obviously there are faster, more technical drummers by the hundreds, but for what metallica does, i don't get it, whats so bad about it?

Lars just has no diversity whatsoever. He plays what seems to be the same beat (maybe a few variations) over and over. I'm no fan of Def Leppard, but I'd go with Rick Allen. Also, Lars is a giant douche.

lars-ulrich-metallica-rock-news.jpg= Giant+Douche.jpg

• Members

I think it's mostly a feel thing and how he plays against the beat. It's a matter of taste, but he can be stiff or clunky sounding in his timing of the hits. What makes a great drummer for me is feel.

• Members

Hmm, well speaking only for myself, I always thought his drumming was just boring and monotonous. Also, the sound he preferred on most of their hits is kind of thin and weak sounding. I like big powerful sounding drum hits and he seems to like having fast ticky drum sounds.

so its all personal preference stuff.

i like drummers that play in the pocket, so that the guitars can do all the "talking" so to speak.

That is basicly what lars does. Lays down the groove for Hetfields riffs. He has always said in interviews that the drummers he looked up to were guys like phil rudd, ian pace, phil taylor, etc guys that played for the song. he wasn't djent or prog, or "type writter metal" ever, so he probably won't be as appreciated by the younger crowd.

• Members

I think it's mostly a feel thing and how he plays against the beat. It's a matter of taste, but he can be stiff or clunky sounding in his timing of the hits. What makes a great drummer for me is feel.

are you talking about live, or on record?

i used to be a tape trader, and i've heard hundreds of shows of theirs, and he is generally pretty consistant, at least back then.

sometimes i think the more sober they become, the worse they are as players.

• Members

Well there is the whole problem of him not being able to keep tempo and stuff..

• Members

The fact that he hung in there, and they kept him in the band speaks volumes about the character of the poeple involved.

That said, I really can't stand the music.

Yeah, it's cool that they found a way to keep him in the band. And since they were well on their way to becoming the most noxiously polished and un-rock-n-roll of 80s hard rock bands anyway, the reliance on triggered samples fit right in.

• Members

The Def Leppard drummer was playing technically simple and easy drum beats before he lost his arm. I've listened a ton of older Def Leppard, and I've never heard him doing anything that struck me as impressive. Maybe he had chops he wasn't showing off, but to me he sounded like any kid with a year of drum lessons.

• Members

are you talking about live, or on record?

i used to be a tape trader, and i've heard hundreds of shows of theirs, and he is generally pretty consistant, at least back then.

sometimes i think the more sober they become, the worse they are as players.

Both. I haven't heard a lot of Metallica shows like you have, it's just that whenever I hear him on record or live he has that certain feel to his drumming. When I hear people bitch about him and then I go to listen, I can see why they might criticize. That doesn't mean that those Metallica songs aren't classics, or that his playing took away from them. Sometimes it's that character that makes something distinctive and special.

• Members

Lars always sounds, to me anyway, like he plays based on his snare. As long as that is on tempo, his legs can stay epileptic.

When I was a kid I thought he was a drum god. Could never understand why he didn't rate in any of the metal magazines drum poles. Then I got older and realized he has almost no rhythm. It's obvious he and a metronome have never met.

• Members

Lars always sounds, to me anyway,
like he plays based on his snare. As long as that is on tempo, his legs can stay epileptic.

When I was a kid I thought he was a drum god. Could never understand why he didn't rate in any of the metal magazines drum poles. Then I got older and realized he has almost no rhythm. It's obvious he and a metronome have never met.

^^^^

IMO this is why so much of their bass stuff is based off the guitars. I've unfortunately played with a lot of drummers who have no concept of leading with the kick and want to lead with the snare and high-hat or something and it's impossible to groove when you have no idea what kick pattern is coming up next...

• Members

^^^^

IMO this is why so much of their bass stuff is based off the guitars. I've unfortunately played with a lot of drummers who have no concept of leading with the kick and want to lead with the snare and high-hat or something and it's impossible to groove when you have no idea what kick pattern is coming up next...

Yes, exactly.

Don't assume, based on my statement that I hate Metallica. I've lost a lot of love for them over the years and have always wondered two things.....

What if Cliff didn't die?

Imagine if they had a sick, kickass drummer?

• Members

Yes, exactly.

Don't assume, based on my statement that I hate Metallica. I've lost a lot of love for them over the years and have always wondered two things.....

What if Cliff didn't die?

Imagine if they had a sick, kickass drummer?

Yeah I hear ya. I still watch my Cunning Stunts DVD sorta often but that's kind of my cutoff for them. I thought S&M was ok for a week but then I threw away the album. :lol:

My thoughts:

1. They would have never written the Black album and/or gone mainstream. They'd be what Mave, Testament, etc. are now. You've heard of them, but not playing stadiums and having their songs blaring at basketball games. Or, he would have been like Randy Rhodes and have left. From most accounts, Randy wouldn't have played with Ozz for forever.

2. Similar to #1 - even if he's an amateur drummer, homedude had the balls and desire to make that band huge. Even when doing so alienated fans or friends or whatever. I think that's why he's never bothered improving his drumming. He doesn't really have to when he can co-write all the tunes with Papa Hett and be the biggest active rock band around.

• Members

What if Mave was still in Meh-tallica?

Less meedlies, more diverse songwriting? He has a much better melodic style than anyone in Meh.

He would be like other bands where he'd probably bring in finished tunes so half would sound like Het and Larz and the other half like Mave...

• Members

To me, if Cliff were still around, And Justice For All wouldn't sound anything like it does. Stiff and sterile for the most part. It has it's moments, but meh.....

They would have evolved very differently.

Also, Ozzy has spoke about Randy wanting to bail on him. SO he could go study classical music at UCLA or something. IIrc, Ozzy said something like "Randy, do a couple more albums and tours with me and you can buy the whole {censored}ing college."

• Members

Less meedlies, more diverse songwriting? He has a much better melodic style than anyone in Meh.

He would be like other bands where he'd probably bring in finished tunes so half would sound like Het and Larz and the other half like Mave...

I agree. Mave has better ,more creative riffage.

• Members

To me, if Cliff were still around, And Justice For All wouldn't sound anything like it does. Stiff and sterile for the most part. It has it's moments, but meh.....

They would have evolved very differently.

Also, Ozzy has spoke about Randy wanting to bail on him. SO he could go study classical music at UCLA or something. IIrc, Ozzy said something like "Randy, do a couple more albums and tours with me and you can buy the whole {censored}ing college."

I think they would have stayed in their bubble. I don't think they would have gone as straight-ahead thrash with the sound. I dunno; like most people Justice is my fave album even w/ the questionable mixing, so.

Archived