So what are the benefits/drawbacks of thick/thin frets?

Nerine

• Members

Bigger frets will allow you to have a higher action (in relation to the fretboard) while still keeping fingering easy. In other words, you have the benefit to have the strings close to the top of the frets for fast playing but plenty of room under it to dig in for string bends.

:thu:

• Members

There is usually greater fret buzz on wide frets. Although if a fret is dressed properly then it can still play relatively buzz free. I'd say it first was more for longevity, but I think it also became comfortable for many. A wide/high fret also has a bit more of a smoother transition than a narrower/ high fret. The narrow high fret can feel like train tracks when sliding up and down the neck because it has a more abrupt slope

• Members

I get height... In fact I wish the frets on my LP were a bit higher, but the width is what I don't get. I don't see how it matters one way or another.. Why have frets that are fat or skinny?

sorry, what don't you get about the width? I don't want to retype the same thing again so please be more specific?

• Members

There is usually greater fret buzz on wide frets. Although if a fret is dressed properly then it can still play relatively buzz free. I'd say it first was more for longevity, but I think it also became comfortable for many. A wide/high fret also has a bit more of a smoother transition than a narrower/ high fret. The narrow high fret can feel like train tracks when sliding up and down the neck because it has a more abrupt slope

This seems to make sense. :)

• Members

This seems to make sense.
:)

Here is a fretwire that tries to eliminate some of the inherent fret buzz of wide frets, but keep the feel. Although once they are leveled it would take a skilled hand to recrown or re-pyramid them again.

Scroll down to the wide/pyramid shape. I've yet to try these, but plan to one day.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire/Wide_Fretwire.html

• Members

I get height... In fact I wish the frets on my LP were a bit higher, but the width is what I don't get. I don't see how it matters one way or another.. Why have frets that are fat or skinny?

I'm with you on the Les Paul frets...especially after you've gigged with it for 10 years :). Now, it's been a LONG time since I was doing that, but when I pick up the LP nowadays, it's like it's got almost no frets compared to some of my other stuff.

I didn't use to think much about fret size, but after getting my JEM, I really started liking the 6105 frets wire on that neck. My Warmoth scalloped Strat neck has these monstrously big frets...don't know what are, but dayum they're big--too big, in all honesty.

• Members

I'm with you on the Les Paul frets...especially after you've gigged with it for 10 years
:)
. Now, it's been a LONG time since I was doing that, but when I pick up the LP nowadays, it's like it's got almost no frets compared to some of my other stuff.

I didn't use to think much about fret size, but after getting my JEM, I really started liking the 6105 frets wire on that neck. My Warmoth scalloped Strat neck has these monstrously big frets...don't know what are, but dayum they're big--too big, in all honesty.

I love 6105 fret wire but a store accidentally sent me 6150 fret wire once so I decided to use it anyway and I was pleasantly surprised. Now one of my Jem7VWH's have the 6150 and I prefer it to the 6105.

FWIW, Doug Aldrich refrets all his LP's with 6105 frets.

• Members

That makes sense. My strats dont buzz at all and the action is pretty low. OTOH, my Les Paul buzzes like a mofo and the action is just a hair over factory spec... you'd expect more from a $2k guitar....

• Members

Presumably a wider fret would mean that more of it is in contact with the string meaning that you might actually get a slightly different sound.

Tone is in the fretwire.

It won't give you a different tone unless you post on TGP, then it might. But it WILL give you a different feel. A fret that is tall and thin will have a very sharp drop between the crown of the fret and the top of the fretboard and it require a light touch for proper intonation.

A thicker fret allows for more gradual drop and it will be more comfortable to play with the strings set at the same height (in relation to the fretboard.

short/thin frets are best for super low action, but bends may feel less natural with the reduced space between the string and fretboard.

It's all about comfort and what fits your playing style better.

• Members

This is actually news to me. I refret guitars almost weekly for people and I've never ran into a width issue... Height, yea. Didn't even know there was differences in width and no, it can't possibly make a difference.

Really? I found quite a big difference, and my playing sucks :lol:

• Members

That makes sense. My strats dont buzz at all and the action is pretty low. OTOH, my Les Paul buzzes like a mofo and the action is just a hair over factory spec... you'd expect more from a $2k guitar....

Find a new setup guy :idk:

I've never seen a Strat with as low as action as a LP without having fret buzz.

• Members

Bigger frets will allow you to have a higher action (in relation to the fretboard) while still keeping fingering easy. In other words, you have the benefit to have the strings close to the top of the frets for fast playing but plenty of room under it to dig in for string bends.

This, plus taller frets also allow for microbends which is very cool for bluesier stuff.

• Members

Find a new setup guy
:idk:

I've never seen a Strat with as low as action as a LP without having fret buzz.

I've got it setup fine now. I had to add a little more relief. But at factory specs of 5/64" string height at the 12th and. 010" relief it was buzzy unless playing with a super light touch.

• Members

This is actually news to me. I refret guitars almost weekly for people and I've never ran into a width issue... Height, yea. Didn't even know there was differences in width and no, it can't possibly make a difference.

This is simply baffling to me. Do you only refret guitars with the same type of frets? I can go look at my guitars and distinguish the different width frets.

From http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSize.aspx :

fretsize_1.giffretsize_2.gif

Item Width X Height Description Used By

6230 .080" X .037" This is the smallest fret wire. Vintage Fender necks.

6130 .106" X .036" Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo". Many Gibson necks.

6150 .103" X .046" A true "Jumbo". It is about the same width as the 6130 but a bit taller. Modern Fender American necks.

6105 .095" X .045" Narrow and tall. A popular choice.

6100 .118" X .058" Huge! This is big stuff for the almost scalloped feel. Common on Ibanez necks

• Members

I build and repair guitars. Not professionally or anything but enough to build a quality instrument. And the fact you said you refret guitars weekly and and didn't know there was a difference in width means you are bull{censored}ting or you are a hack repairman. If u don't know the ins and outs of a trade or profession you do every week, then you are a hack.. Width absolutely makes a difference for me when I level and re-crown frets. Yes its all the same principle, but there is a difference and to insure quality I'm glad i take that into account when I work on guitars. It only takes simple logic to understand that. but whatever...

Archived