How are the Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolos?

• Members

A local music store has a Japan built Jackson hanging on the wall. I played it real quick the other day and my initial impressions are positive. Didn't plug it in, but that would be the obvious next step. I think I am going back this week to see what kind of deal he'll give me. Doesn't have a Floyd Floyd. It has a licensed Jackson Floyd....

I've never owned a Floyded guitar.

So what say you?

Do they suck? Or no?

Not to mention it has a reverse pointy headstock. I have always wanted one.

• Members

Which Jackson is it? The DKMGs are good axes! The DXMGs are OK, but I wouldn't buy one personally.

The Jackson floyds generally hold tuning well, but do wear out after a while. However, they are a direct drop-in replacement for an OFR. So if/when it starts giving hassle, you can drop one in no routing required. That said, the Jackson locking nuts are a tad shallower than the OFR locknut. So if you're not fussed about keeping the Jackson locknut then don't worry, but I generally tend to take a "do the whole job right" approach and shave the locknut shelf down to accommodate the Schaller nut. But that job shouldn't take a good tech more than 10 minutes to do.

But if you like the guitar, it's certainly a better floyd than a lot of the licensed import tremolos that come on the likes of Ibanez and LTD (the latter are {censored}ing horrible IMO!).

Just to say, if it's a higher end Japanese guitar, it's better than the competition! Do it! Worry about the floyd in a year or two if/when you need to! I replaced the one on my WRMG and my 90s Stealth with real floyds. My KV5FR is showing signs of needing a new one, but I have shown it a fair amount of use in the 15 months since I bought it!

• Members

Which Jackson is it? The DKMGs are good axes! The DXMGs are OK, but I wouldn't buy one personally.

The Jackson floyds generally hold tuning well, but do wear out after a while. However, they are a direct drop-in replacement for an OFR. So if/when it starts giving hassle, you can drop one in no routing required. That said, the Jackson locking nuts are a tad shallower than the OFR locknut. So if you're not fussed about keeping the Jackson locknut then don't worry, but I generally tend to take a "do the whole job right" approach and shave the locknut shelf down to accommodate the Schaller nut. But that job shouldn't take a good tech more than 10 minutes to do.

But if you like the guitar, it's certainly a better floyd than a lot of the licensed import tremolos that come on the likes of Ibanez and LTD (the latter are {censored}ing horrible IMO!).

Thanks for the info.

Honestly, I am not sure what model it is. I have a hunch it is a few years old. Since everything on the Jackson website is either Indo?China/USA built. But that is what caught my eye. I am a sucker for Japanese built guitars and the price wasn't terrible at $549. The shop is hurting, so I figure I could get it at bottom dollar. Plus, I'll bet the guy would give it a setup and strings.... But I don't want to assume too much.

• Members

Ok, just looked at the website. Best I can find without talking to someone is that the guitar is a DXMG or a DX10D Dinky. Either way, looks like it is a Dinky model.

Edit; May also be a DK10D Soloist. But I am pretty sure it has a bolt on neck....

If it's a neck through I will buy it, molest it furiously and spread my DNA all over it.

• Members

If you can snap a pic on your phone I can tell you. $549 sounds a bit expensive for a DK10D or an DXMG, but then that's USA funny money, not proper Queen's pounds... ;)

Jackson only just swapped around their range, so that's probably why it's not listed on their website. The DXMGs were perfectly workable, but the DKMGs really topped the bill for those Japanese instruments!

• Members

It's the Soloist. I just realized they have tiny thumbnails on the website when you hover over the model number. So there it was. I doubt they are open today. But I am going to check on my way in to work. Either way I am going to give it a run through this week. If I want it, I will try to work out a layaway deal so it will be held until my taxes come back. The Jackson through my Rat into my JCM will equal epic '80s shleppage.

It's definitely a MIJ guitar. That is what caught my eye.

I am gassing so hard right now.

• Members

MIJ jacksons are {censored}ing sex

+1 I've got two of them that I'll never get rid of.

Edit: Mine however are the creme d' le creme of the Japanese models (IMHO). Mine are the ones that were manufactured in Japan from the late 80's to mid 90's (6 digit serial numbers).

• Members

The Low Profile trems are NOT the same thing as the original floyd rose though and when those whare out (and they will) you are basically screwed. I learned that the hard way.

Truth though. Also if you do replace it with a OFR, it will fit, but look won't fill out the route, again assuming this is a 580LP we're talking about. Your left with quite a bit of open space around the trem, which makes it look small and weird.

• Members

Don't rely on hearsay; call Floyd Rose directly. They can tell you the manufacturing technique of any licensed Floyd Rose.

The thing to look out for are the licensed Floyd Roses that are not case-hardened, or don't have their contact points case hardened.

The ones that are not case-hardened are the ones to stay away from.