School me on the Sunn Beta Lead?????

shane159

• Members

I am playing in a Bluesy rock/rock band, how does this amp compared to say a Twin with pedals. I am currently running a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 for this band , but I love nasty Melvins type metal tones. There is one for sale near me for $300 so I am thinking about picking it up. I know nasty metal tones do not seem to be the goal for a bluesy type band but I am looking for nasty, fuzzy type lead tones.

• Members

Buy it. If you don't like it...I'll have $300 + shipping to burn someday again.
:love:

I believe the dudes in Red Fang rock Beta Leads. I think. Crap, now I can't remember. Its some sorta old Sunn. *Goes off to find out*

Confirmed.
They do.
:thu:

I was thinking Red Fang when I started to read the OP. I know they were converted from there original Head/Cab state.

• Members

I believe the dudes in Red Fang rock Beta Leads. I think. Crap, now I can't remember. Its some sorta old Sunn. *Goes off to find out*

Confirmed.
They do.

You got issues man...just as you said. Tubes are addicting huh?

Is that American though bro? Let's be honest...to be the best, you gotta play the best.

• Members

Is that American though bro? Let's be honest...to be the best, you gotta play the best.

Amps are addicting. Especially pointlessly loud old American SS amps. :love:

• Members

I have a head, possibly the nastiest amp to ever exist, the distortion sounds super mechanical and it is super loud, like louder than anything ive ever played. I honestly think the 100w rating is conservative by a factor of 10.

The downside is it cant do "pretty" sorts of sounds or anything thats not nasty and the have loads of reliability issues, in fact mine is currently down with what im hoping is not a tranny issue but to be fair i gots a screaming deal on it.

• Members

I briefly had this one in my possession... belonged to my brother, who was going through some marriage problems & didn't want his ex getting a hold of it:

2241273057_cc39c15441_z.jpg

Anywho,

It was indeed freakin' LOUD. But, that's about the only thing it had going for it (imo, of course). After reading all the hype on these things, I brought it to a couple of rehearsals with the band to hear how it would sound in the mix & hated it. I told my brother that if he ever wanted to sell it, he could probably easily get 3 or 4 hundred for it, though...

& then he pawned it for next to nothing :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks guys, I tried it out tonight and yes it was loud, but as soon as my band started playing I was lost. I could easily play this amp at home, but with the band it sucked. For the bedroom wannabe doom kid this amp is the {censored} ,but playing with a two guitar player band. No way!!!

• 8 years later...
  • Members
On 1/11/2012 at 7:26 PM, KCTigerChief said:

They do.

You're not suggesting that there is a correlation between American and best are you? For the most part we haven't been the "best" at anything positive for a long time. Just sayin'

Archived