BKP Aftermath vs EMG81 clip (ESP - Jackson)

metalaxe

• Members

Lasse, you git. It was you that made me switch from the AM as my main pickup to the 81, and I named the bloody thing!

I'd A/Bd them before. With amps dialed in well for the AM, the 81 always sounded thin and crap. Then I heard your clip from ages ago, gave the 81 another shot (I used em for years before BK) and like the 81 better. So I got another 81, dialed in as best I could for it, and tried to match the tightness and clarity with the AM. Not possible. The AM sounds almost like its 1/4 neck pickup by comparison.

This comparison is consistent with that experience. I'm still using BKs, but the 81 is my go to for anything fast and detuned.

• Members

yeah, if you want tight there's no way past the 81 IME

Which makes it my main pickup now :lol:

When I say 'fast and detuned' thats most of what I play.

Aftermath doing the best I could with it in drop B @~250 (a little more or less through the course of the track). Its an old clip (learned a lot in the last year), I could do better now. Will be using an 81 for it next time I record it. PIttbull CL, Ubercab, and iirc md421 and AT4050

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/apotheosis-by-mdv

• Members

I actually liked the more organic sound of the BKP...it really showed on the pinch harmonic too. Now if you like a bit tighter sound and really wanted a sharp squeel on that harmonic then the EMG would be the way to go. Either way the EMG held it's own with the BKP for this type of music. Now try that again through a VHT UL and see how that BKP sounds with an ultra tight amp.

• Members

I actually liked the more organic sound of the BKP...it really showed on the pinch harmonic too. Now if you like a bit tighter sound and really wanted a sharp squeel on that harmonic then the EMG would be the way to go. Either way the EMG held it's own with the BKP for this type of music. Now try that again through a VHT UL and see how that BKP sounds with an ultra tight amp.

See post above ;)

• Members

EMG 81 is IMHO the best high gain pickup ever... it's been an industry standard for 30 years now and I still can't find a pickup that matches it. I used it for a long time, and then got caught on the internet BS that it is sterile etc and tried a bunch of passive pickups for about 7 years trying to convince myself that they were better. Ended up going back to my good old 81/85 set and I couldn't be happier.

• Members
EMG 81 is IMHO the best high gain pickup ever... it's been an industry standard for 30 years now and I still can't find a pickup that matches it. I used it for a long time, and then got caught on the internet BS that it is sterile etc and tried a bunch of passive pickups for about 7 years trying to convince myself that they were better. Ended up going back to my good old 81/85 set and I couldn't be happier.

Im the same way. Most of my guitars are emg loaded. I will say though that the motorcity pups (solution and hellbaby) are the only ones i ever liked for passives. I had a painkiller and hated it.

• Members

I personally like the 85 better in the bridge of Alder bodied guitars, and The Blackout in Les Paul/Mahogany stled guitars for metal. The 81 has always been too bright for me. I prefer actives for metal over most passives. I like passives for blues/classic rock styled music. There are exceptions of course, but the video sounded better with the EMG for the music played.

• Members

I bought a Warpig set on the intense recommendations here. Went back to EMG - the store took em back happily, though that's probably because I buy tonnes from em!

My friend has a Nailbomb set in his Warlock though and it sounds crushing.

I'd still stand by my EMGs though!

Archived