Digitech GSP1101 users group thread

EthylOH

• Members

Ahilw back I saw a fella with a stompbox pedal board going PA direct having fairly respectable tone (as well as solid chops). Later I checked his gear, and he pointed to the G100 as the main reason. He's Behringer-sponsored, so I gave him a lil {censored} of course. He said "no. not trollin' ".

And here ya go confirming it. I'd like to work it in with my Tonelab (maybe)...how do you have your rig set....any insight?

It's funny, since I posted that, I've gone back to just using the GSP1101 (without the G100), but I'm thinking of adding some character pedals to the GSP1101. I'm kind of hard to please, a bad tweaker, and my band is all in-ear, which isn't a great way to listen to guitar, so, I'm very picky with that. I imagine any piece of gear would sound better through good studio monitors or an amp and cab, than through earphones, so, I have trouble adapting at times, but I live with it.

Back to the G100, it's kind of an overall sleeper. The guys who know, know, but the name probably scares a lot of folks away. It's a GREAT speaker sim, IMO. In fact, there is a speaker sim comparison online somewhere, where a guy records the same riff into like 8 different sims, like Red Boxes and Palmers, and I blindly picked the Behringer as "the best", no joke.

I don't get into custom IR's, so, I couldn't compare it to Redwirez or the Ownhammers and the like, but for a strictly hardware solution, it's cheap and it's great.

I had my rig like this:

Peavey Rockmaster > TC Electronic G major 2 > Behringer G100 > PA.

• Members

^^^^

I've been experimenting with direct into PA in my studio.....my exact live PA setup. DI from Tonelab, DI from Tonelab> Redbox, DI out from Tonelab>Amp>Redbox.

So far...everything sound better with a mic in front of the amp...with proper placement. Can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm doing all the right things. I can't seem to duplicate the full bass response without fizz and lifelessness. :idk:

• Members

^^^^

I've been experimenting with direct into PA in my studio.....my exact live PA setup. DI from Tonelab, DI from Tonelab> Redbox, DI out from Tonelab>Amp>Redbox.

So far...everything sound better with a mic in front of the amp...with proper placement. Can't for the life of me figure out why. I'm doing all the right things. I can't seem to duplicate the full bass response without fizz and lifelessness.
:idk:

Yeah, it's not perfect, and a well mic'd speaker is pretty magical, but we don't use amps, so, I don't have a choice.

I'd say about every 3 weeks after gigging, I think about ditching the ears and going back to an amp, but, most of the places we play, that's more of a pain than it's worth.

• Members

framushead - use GIRL

http://mustbebeta.com/generalforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=674

I went on a IR downloading spree over the weekend....haven't had a chance to test them yet though!

downloaded:

free demo Redwirez Marshall cab

free demo Recabinet cab (marshall too i think?)

something called God's cabinet which is a multi mic'ed Mesa Recto OS cab

guitar hacks (Andy Sneap) impulses

there's plenty of free IRs online is the point I'm trying to make
:)

Sweet! i got the redwires marshall cab and the guitar hacks impluses already.. I will use this girl app and see how it does.

• Members

just curious - what models were you using for your tallica sounds? Mark IV? Mark IIC+?

{censored}, while we're on the subject we should swap some presets fellas!

i dont remember, disposable definitely isnt mark. i didnt know there was a mark iv model on there. "one" was the first clip i recorded and it sounds like {censored} but whatever. this clip i believe is the mark IIC model but i dont even know

http://soundcloud.com/raceu4her/hcafmix3

• Members

I do remember that the first disposable you did was mark IIC+ boosted with the screamer model. You had erased that, I requested it and you did something similar!

yeah, i looked again and cant find it. ill have to do another one at some point

• Members

first practice with the rig last night....i'm impressed. I still have some programming to do for various "song patches" with specific fx and such but I have my main tones pretty much tweaked to where I like them. This is all for my 80s cover band...

next up- dialing in my BROOTZ tone!

So far I've been digging the Digitech Dark Metal model....very modern, reminds me of the new Born of Osiris record The Discovery. Also been messing with the 5150 model with a 808 in front but it sounds kinda thin to me....alas still lots more tweaking to do.

on another note, I would really like to setup a way to share some tones with you guys. not that I think my presets are the be all end all, but I think it would be fun to see how other people dial in their sound. I haven't even started messing with the parametric yet!

• Members

HUGE GSP fan here!!! using it 4cm for FX(no modelling but the fact that you can turn a single channel amp into a channel switcher thanks to the modeling is brilliant) with my JVM and have absolutely no desire to ever change.... When it comes to quality of sounds, versatility, ease of programming and bang for the buck, the GSP is crazy hard to beat...

Oh Yeah, Lucius Rules!!!

Kage

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just got one to use with on flyaway gig's, and weekend band show's. (i'm a session player/Sideman/Weekend picker) I was pretty impressed with this unit for the $$. But though I don't have trouble coming up with good presets (amp& FX) I usually had a tech or a good quick minded friend to help with a programming problem. In a studio your usually just using one sound in a session, often I used amps/boxs, a kidney pod (replaced now with a zoom G3 Love this! just limited for stage) or PT plugin the producer/engineer wants.

What I hope this thread becomes is a good depository to learn any tricks in setting say, levels (called Digitech twice to figure out how to get the Control2's exp pedal to act as a volume,, sad i know) fact is I'm a noob, and a dullard when it comes to deep programming digital things. (I must say like a lot of rack stuff certain things make sense to me that aren't there, say an auto level for banks of presets that U can quickly even everything out, then go back and say bump up your Solo patch in volume to cut through. Anyway none the less Player's who know this unit inside out could really be hero's here for Idiots like me!

• Members

Some really great clips and vids in this thread!

Thinking about buying one of these. Are they way better than the rp1000 I used to have?

What is a good foot controller for it? How is the digitech one?

The RP1000 and GSP1101 are nearly the same thing with more processing power and routing options in the GSP. The Control2 is AWESOME!!! Can't imagine there being a better controller for it out there.

• Members

thanks man. yeah i really miss the rp1000, i sold it like a noob after a bad gig but looking back its actually a very good unit and very user friendly. i really miss the looper too, great practice tool.

there is one on ebay i am about to buy, woot woot!!

• Members

Voodoogreg:

When in a patch, go to the preset volume level and link that to the footcontroller to use it as a volume pedal.

I forget if it's global, but I have it set up as a volume on all my patches, and then when you kick it all the way down and activate the button underneath, it becomes a wah.

I also have the "Control" button set up as a volume boost for solos etc.

Plus it can control several things at once, so if you want to change to a completely different sound during a song or solo, one button will do it.

• Members

Voodoogreg:

When in a patch, go to the preset volume level and link that to the footcontroller to use it as a volume pedal.

I forget if it's global, but I have it set up as a volume on all my patches, and then when you kick it all the way down and activate the button underneath, it becomes a wah.

I also have the "Control" button set up as a volume boost for solos etc.

Plus it can control several things at once, so if you want to change to a completely different sound during a song or solo, one button will do it.

Hey thanks drewl! VG

• 6 years later...
  • Members

My HDD went kaput a few days ago. Got a SSD to replace it, but cannot retrieve my old files. Most of it was backed up, but not my downloads folder...

I lost my x-edit C63 download. I've scoured the internet and cannot find it- the website that hosted it previously is gone, disappeared, now goes to a generic godaddy landing page.

Can anyone zip and send it to me ? PM for email address please, thanks!

Archived