digitech 2120 artist

MichaelYoung

• Members

so i have one of these preamps and i am running it thru a marshall 9005 el34 based power amp. I have found some good tones thru it. I have searched and haven't really found a place where people use these can share there settings. Thought it might be a good thing to start. Does anyone still use these preamps other than me?

• Members

I'm still using mine. I use it with my Tech21 Trademark 60 as well as with my Marshall's JCM2000 DSL and JVM410. I've had it well over 10 years. I don't use the presets, I've made up my own. I started by just getting a base tone, that is with the 2120 on, in the loop, I wanted on and bypass to sound the same. The I added reverb, or made up a couple of different type of reverb patches, then I did the same with the delays, chorus, etc. If I ever had a specific song that needed a particular sond or tone I would make one up and so on. Its a great effects processor if used tastfully. If it ever crapped out I'd upgrade to their new model. I still keep the older GSP21 in the rack as a backup.

DSCF0735C-1.jpg

• Members

I picked up a jm250, pre and power amp together in a head. I ended up liking it so much that I sold my mark v and jsx along with all my pedals. It can do it all, well except for the whammy. It sounds awful.

As for settings I like the dual recto, tremoverb combo, and hot rodded Marshall. Recto is scooped and dark, tremo is set brighter, the Marshall is all dimed. Cleans are fender twin. I have a hand full of patches, and I'm always tweaking.

• Members

The only thing that hurt these old units was the Sdisk limits. Same with the Johnson Amp line. What people didn't realize at the time, was the quality of the fx were better even with those limitations than competitor products with more fx options, lesser fx sound quality per patch. Then the Prophesy entered the mix and really changed the game.

• Members

Sweet rig (axel276)! Do you use the cab sims on with the tech21 setup?

No, no cab sims on. I pretty much just use the 2120 for a tad of delay. I have a couple of chorus/delay and delay (long and slapback)patches I like and switch between them as well as a couple of reverb & reverb/delay patches. I also have a couple of killer OD patches, really smooth like Eric Johnson. The really nice feature of using a quality FX processor in the FX loop of your amp is that I works almost like a attenuator. The 2120 foot control has an expression pedal which I use as a volume pedal. The benefit of a volume pedal in the loop of your amp is that you can have your amp and guitar up full and get that sound at any volume, from a whisper to ear bleeding. It works very well in a live situation as well as at home.

• Members

has any of you copied a marshall or mesa tone with the 2120. I have gotten some great cleans but really interested to see what you all have done with the gain patches

I got tones I liked, but nothing I'd say was Marshall or Mesa sounding. I certainly couldn't get anything like my old Mark III or Quad pre.

• Members

I owned two 2120s at different times. Both crapped out on me, both sounded great when they worked. As cheap as they are now I might even try to pick up another. The trick for me was to never put any of the output settings at 100%. Keeping them at 75% or lower really helps.

• Members

I owned two 2120s at different times. Both crapped out on me, both sounded great when they worked. As cheap as they are now I might even try to pick up another. The trick for me was to never put any of the output settings at 100%. Keeping them at 75% or lower really helps.

did you just use it for fx or for your main tone?

• Members

your getting some really good tones. I'm tuned down quite a bit lower and my saturation and gain is a bit more with some djentish attack. i'm pretty pleased with the tones

Yeah, it's super versatile. Those clips I posted were pretty straight ahead rock tones, but there's some serious chunk to be had by ignoring the tube preamp and using the SS side. I have no doubt you get some killer djent sounds out of it.

• Members

Here, the guitars on this song are 100% 2120. Toans, FX, everything:

Gibson LPC --> Digitech 2120 Artist --> Peavey Classic 120 --> Marshall 1936 (G12-T75)

Very nice! Sounds like some of the tones I used to get with my 2101, which was the core of my tone for many years. Still miss it sometimes, though I don't really miss running a rack-based setup.

Archived