6L6's vs. KT88's?

MKaneJeeves

• Members

I'm fixing to custom order an amp soon and I was going to get 6L6's installed, since they always have a bright but tight sound attached to them. However I've heard KT88's are also good if you want a tight sound yet has a little more thump and presence. Are KT88's good choices if you want a 6L6 like treble cut and tightness but with a little more bass and midrange? What are the differences; thanks.

• Members

It very much depends on how you use the KT88s. Nearly every 6L6 amp out there is going to run about 450V on the plates and not a great deal less on the screens with about a 2k-2k2 primary on the OT if you're running a quad for pretty run of the mill AB1 operation. KT88s can be run in so many different configurations it will make your heard hurt; ~550V on the plates and screens, 600V plates and 300V on the screens, 550-600 plate and an ultralinear screen feed and more. They all behave quite differently. Hell the KT88 is a prime candidate to push into AB2 operation by driving the grids positive! A lot of bass amps do that.

• Members

Is there a consistent or uniform tone to the KT88's that would represent a generalized sample of their sound? I don't bias amps so I don't understand the voltage jargon you're talking about, but I understand descriptions and clips!

• Members

Is there a consistent or uniform tone to the KT88's that would represent a generalized sample of their sound? I don't bias amps so I don't understand the voltage jargon you're talking about, but I understand descriptions and clips!

IMO it's not really that simple.....the actual amp design itself has far greater impact on sound than the type of tubes you put in it.

I think you'll not find a whole hell of a lot of difference once you get the amp and try swapping tubes.

• Members

I guess what I'm driving at is that a KT88 poweramp can be wildly different in of itself but I suppose if you wanted a very general overview of the tonality then what you say isn't terribly far off under most circumstances. Most people would say that 6550s have more mids than KT88s but wont have as much top end. This might not translate in all circuits though!

Not quite the tubes you're after comparing but not a bad video nevertheless

[video=youtube;wzX5gBowvEI]

• Members

IMO it's not really that simple.....the actual amp design itself has far greater impact on sound than the type of tubes you put in it.

I think you'll not find a whole hell of a lot of difference once you get the amp and try swapping tubes.

Motherfucking this!!!

I was searching the youtube for clips illustrating the difference between KT88s and EL34s and found this:

Am I tonedeaf or the differences are minimal??? :confused:

• Members

It very much depends on how you use the KT88s. Nearly every 6L6 amp out there is going to run about 450V on the plates and not a great deal less on the screens with about a 2k-2k2 primary on the OT if you're running a quad for pretty run of the mill AB1 operation. KT88s can be run in so many different configurations it will make your heard hurt; ~550V on the plates and screens, 600V plates and 300V on the screens, 550-600 plate and an ultralinear screen feed and more. They all behave quite differently. Hell the KT88 is a prime candidate to push into AB2 operation by driving the grids positive! A lot of bass amps do that.

translation please?

• Members

:thu:

• 8 years later...

Archived