will this nitrocellulose lacquer be compatible with this primer?

alistarr*

• Members

Hi all

I sanded a guitar to bare wood, smoothed it all nice like, and applied grey primer in several careful and very light coats. It all looks like it's good to go, and my plan was to grab the nicest looking colour of paint from the same range as my primer. But then I saw a really nice paint online I want to use instead. Will this nice looking paint (which is a nitrocellulose lacquer) be compatible with the primer I used?

The primer:

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4181/Go_product---GO

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-68156-PlastiKote-Grey-Primer-Super-Spray-Paint-400ml.html

The paint:

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

I'm assuming that, even if the primer's not a problem, I'll need to use a nitrocellulose clear coat on top of the paint rather than anything else?

thanks for any advice you can offer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all

I sanded a guitar to bare wood, smoothed it all nice like, and applied grey primer in several careful and very light coats. It all looks like it's good to go, and my plan was to grab the nicest looking colour of paint from the same range as my primer. But then I saw a really nice paint online I want to use instead. Will this nice looking paint (which is a nitrocellulose lacquer) be compatible with the primer I used?

The primer:

The paint:

I'm assuming that, even if the primer's not a problem, I'll need to use a nitrocellulose clear coat on top of the paint rather than anything else?

thanks for any advice you can offer.

They sell the white Laquer primer right on the link you provided. Why not use that for sure compatability?

• Members

gosh, talk about a blast from the past!

answer: because i had already applied the primer i chose before i found that link.

i did consider stripping it again and starting from scratch but in the end i decided against nc lacquer at all because i was concerned about the possible health risk and didn't want to buy all the necessary equipment to remove that risk and to do a properly awesome job that would justify the expense of the paint.

in the end i went with a cheapo spray can of paint and a similar clear coat and it's come out pretty nice. if i ever attempt a similar project again i'll know just what's required to make a real good job of it. as it is, i'm happy. my guitar no longer looks crappy.

thanks for the comments, though.

• Members

Other than filling the wood poors with a sealer I've never had to use a primer.

What ever you start with you have to stick with. You cant mix and match your finish types. You have Polys, Laquers and enamels. Lacquers are Alcohol Based, Polys are Epoxy/Plastic based, and Most enamels like Krylon are oil based. Of course theyre is laytex which which is water based only an idiot would use cause it rubs off. One base type cant be used over another because it wont bond. It will either blister or peel off.

• Members

gosh, talk about a blast from the past!

answer: because i had already applied the primer i chose before i found that link.

i did consider stripping it again and starting from scratch but in the end i decided against nc lacquer at all because i was concerned about the possible health risk and didn't want to buy all the necessary equipment to remove that risk and to do a properly awesome job that would justify the expense of the paint.

in the end i went with a cheapo spray can of paint and a similar clear coat and it's come out pretty nice. if i ever attempt a similar project again i'll know just what's required to make a real good job of it. as it is, i'm happy. my guitar no longer looks crappy.

thanks for the comments, though.

cool!

Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the reply. Now we know.

-Gary

Archived