OT - Electronic dog fences, do they work?

jds22

• Members

Does anybody have any experience with electronic dog fences? If so, how well do they work? Is it a permanent installation or is it just used until the dog learns it's boundaries?

I guess they must work since they are still on the market but to my mind it just seems that if the dog bolts after something, it's going to blow right thru that boundary.

Any ideas?

• Members

They are training tools at best. I have had both the wired type and the wireless type which I currently have. My first pug would still go through the boundary if I was outside of it (he hated to be away from me). My current pug stays inside the boundary but I still worry what would happen if he saw another dog or better yet the UPS man outside of his boundary (he chased the UPS down the road once for a dog treat). The wired type is cool because you can set up the boundary that you want. However if the wire gets cut, it won't work. The wireless type if much more expensive and the boundary is a circle so you have to see whether that works for the space that you need.

I want to fence this year but we have over an acre in the back and my husband is throwing a fit about the price of fencing just for a dog... I however, think it is the best and safest way to go.

• Members

I'm not big on the concept because there's no visual aid for the dog to see where the boundary is. Our dogs would have probably been fine with a foot high fence when we were training them to stay in the yard. We have a three footer, but they could jump it without batting an eye. It's the idea that "inside is yours, outside is not" that needs to be put into their minds. My philosophy on the electronic dog fence is that it doesn't tell the dog what they're doing wrong. Jumping a physical boundary is an easy event to trigger "no bad" in a dogs mind. Walking and suddenly getting bit gives them a "WTF?" more than a "no bad."

That said, several neighbors have used them and they do work, in a way. But there's a lot of confused doggy faces the first few times they try to cross over.

DISCLAIMER: I have a strong dislike for this in principle, so my biases are clear.

• Members

you are supposed to walk your dog around your property line or wherever the fence is so they know their boundaries.

they work. my neighbor installs them and a few people in the neighborhood have them. i will be walking yogi and one house has a boxer that runs right out to the line and stops. same with the house that has the husky.

my yard is fenced so i dont need to worry about it but i am sure yogi would respect the invisible fence too, he is pretty homebound. knows he has it good and has hever wandered off.

• Members

My brother has a MAD hyper golden retriever that runs at the drop of a hat, and it works great on her, but some of my buddies have had dogs that just run through it LOL I guess it all depends on the dog and the model of electric fence (I'm not sure which model my brother has).

• Members

you are supposed to walk your dog around your property line or wherever the fence is so they know their boundaries.

This is part of my problem with them. They tend to be used by people that don't take a personal interest in the dog and think the electronic fence is the ultimate babysitter. Just going based on what I've seen in my neighborhood, no offense to those that use them as part of training and do take an interest in their pets.

• Members

Does anybody have any experience with electronic dog fences? If so, how well do they work? Is it a permanent installation or is it just used until the dog learns it's boundries?

I guess they must work since they are still on the market but to my mind it just seems that if the dog bolts after something, it's going to blow right thru that boundry.

Any ideas?

It depends on the dog. It didn't work for my lab but I have two dogs now that respect it.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I did some reading about the training required and that makes sense. I could see people just installing it and hoping their dog figures it out.

can you imagine how mean that would be? all of a sudden you are walking and just get blasted for no reason? people piss me off sometimes

• Members

can you imagine how mean that would be? all of a sudden you are walking and just get blasted for no reason? people piss me off sometimes

Every now and then I hear one of our collars beeping so I move it. I accidentally grabbed one by the probes the other day and it lit me up. No wonder my little dude stays in the yard now. :(

• Members

I'm not big on the concept because there's no visual aid for the dog to see where the boundary is. Our dogs would have probably been fine with a foot high fence when we were training them to stay in the yard. We have a three footer, but they could jump it without batting an eye. It's the idea that "inside is yours, outside is not" that needs to be put into their minds. My philosophy on the electronic dog fence is that it doesn't tell the dog what they're doing wrong. Jumping a physical boundary is an easy event to trigger "no bad" in a dogs mind. Walking and suddenly getting bit gives them a "WTF?" more than a "no bad."

That said, several neighbors have used them and they do work, in a way. But there's a lot of confused doggy faces the first few times they try to cross over.

DISCLAIMER: I have a strong dislike for this in principle, so my biases are clear.

They give you a bunch of little flags to remind the dog. After a few months the flags can come down.

Also...you have to remember to take the collar off the dog when you take them for a ride in the car. The look on their face when they're sitting still and the collar starts beeping...priceless.

• Members

I have 2 dogs and an electric fence. It works on one, but not the other. Once he gets a scent, he runs right through and takes the hit. We have gone through the training process 3x already.

He is now on a runner.

My lab used to know exactly where the boundary was, she'd dig in like a running getting into starter blocks then she'd bolt accros the line and take the zap without so much as a yelp. Getting her back in wasn't nearly as easy.

• Members

They only do half the job of a real fence.

Yes they can keep a dog within an area, but they don't keep other things out (like a fence would). So while your dog might be secure on your property from leaving your property the neighbor's kid might come over to screw with your dog (in a negative way), justly lose 3 or 4 lbs of flesh and you're the bad guy and not the cretin or the cretin child.

Derek

• Members

Just train the dog. I've trained my dog not to step on the street. I have 3 acres boarding conserv land, so her going into other yards doesn't happen

We had a German Shepherd that was trained to stay in our yard. I don't know if maybe she just didn't have a strong prey drive or the fact the we got her at 5 weeks and worked with her on it, but in her 12 years she probably only left the back yard on her own 5-6 times.

It's been 2 years today since she passed and now we are thinking of getting a golden retriever. I think we could probably train her as well as our GSD but are wanting to learn more about electric fences.

BTW, raise a glass to Jess. She left us 2 years ago today.

Jesse.jpg

• Members

im very sorry for your loss, she looks like an amazing pup. i love it when they just grab huge sticks and are a like, Wanna Play????

Thanks, I appreciate that.

We've gone back and forth over whether or not to get another GSD or a golden but have pretty much decided on a golden this time.

• Members

both excellent friends to have around, loyal and friendly as any i have come across.

cant imagine my house w/o a dog. ive had to drop him off at the kennel before leaving on a business trip and my house just feels so empty, less drool filled, but empty.

Archived