Anyone still use the Art SGX 2000?

EdgeOfDarkness

• Members

I just picked one up with the controller.

I've been wanting one since 1992 but never had the $900 for it.

I got it with controller for $175.

Any tips and tricks for me?

I see sweetwater has a cool write up about it.

When the product designers at A.R.T. were asked to build what they considered to be the ultimate guitar preamp/processor, they decided to pull out all the stops. The net result is the SGX 2000 Express, and for sheer overwhelming processing power, this unit will cause even the most jaded guitar players to sit up and take notice.

Carrying a list price of $849, the SGX combines a state-of-the-art preamp with a straightforward user interface and all the analog and digital multieffects routings you could ever imagine.

When designing the 2000 Express, ART's engineers researched and designed a tube preamp circuit that they felt rivalled the best vintage tube amps, resulting in a sound that breathes the way only a tube amp can. In fact, the 2000 Express offers eight variations of tube, as well as solid-state circuits, each of which have their own unique sound. A Tube Contour control located on the front panel adjusts the tube's tonal characteristics.

With the programmable preamp feature, there's no need to use a speaker simulator or any other "black box" when running the SGX directly into a console since the preamp design is so precise, you'll swear the guitar is miked.

Analog effects can be used individually or simultaneously in any preset and all analog effects are completely programmable and independent of each other. Analog effects include: compression, expansion, distortion, exciter, envelope filter, noise gate, 7-band graphic EQ, effects crossover and programmable level. Distortion types include: turbo tubes, psycho tubes, overdrive stack, jazz tubes, solid state, solid warm, tube clean and tube stack.

What's more, the SGX 2000 also offers unparalleled 24-bit digital effects including (let's take a deep breath): 21 digital reverbs, 12 gated reverbs, acoustic environment simulator (very cool!), flanger, chorus, stereo digital delay plus 21 other delay types (like echo and multitap), pitch shift, tremolo, phaser, panner, sampler and much more.

Unlike other processors which limit you to a specific, predetermined number of effects chains, the SGX accomplishes preset construction by addition or deletion of individual effects. After adding an effect, the processor displays the remaining effects available for use in that preset. Take our word for it, the SGX Express is one of the most user-friendly devices you've ever worked with.

There are a whopping 200 memory locations available in the 2000 Express, plus 475 factory presets retained in four memory banks, so you'll never run out of fresh sounds.

There's even a programmable patchbay for controlling the two effects loops and, of course, comprehensive MIDI implementation. The list goes on and on. Space limitations prevent us from publishing a complete list of every SGX feature, but by now we're sure you get the idea.

For bass players, A.R.T. offers the SGX Nightbass Studio Edition ($849 list), plus a slightly scaled down version of the 2000 Express, the SGX Nitro ($629 list). Play guitar? Then odds are good that you'll want to know more about these over-the-top processors from A.R.T., so call Sweetwater today for more information and your very special pricing on these astounding units!

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Power transformer went on my sgx 2000. Anyone know what make or model they used or one that would be compatible with it. Also, if someone knows the secondary power output from the transformer that would help also.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I’ve been playing/recording with an SGX 2000 since the mid to late 1990s.  While it does have an impressive array of effects, programmability, and an amenable learning curve, the weak link is  the simple fact of it just not having a high quality sound.  It’s noisy.  “A poor workman curses his tools” and the lousy quality of sound I’m getting from it may be my own fault, but it does leave me wishing for something else.  I do like the flexibility it has, there is a lit you can do with it, but the sound quality always seems to be lacking.  I’m just a hobbyist so in the nearly thirty years I’ve had it, it has sufficed, and I’m definitely better off having it than not, but now that I’m getting back into things, I’ll be looking to build out a pedalboard and perhaps consider adding an Axe FX-III.  I would imagine effects processors have improved dramatically over the last quarter century or so.  I can’t fault the SGX that much though.  It has its flaws, but it has lasted this entire time and has never failed to operate.  It has been reliable and seems to be of quality construction.  For years (decades), I was content with it (quite delighted initially), but it is time for some new gear - or will be soon.  I’ll keep it just for nostalgia (and because I’m a pack rat), but there is a reason they no longer produce these.  I would be open to considering a new ART unit if they were to re-enter the entry level rackmount effects market, but I would want to hear one in person first.  Its a fun box if its all you have, but there is better sound available.

Archived