Celestion G12 K100

Nerine

• Members

Its like a V30 with more bass and zero harshness in the mids. Its my favorite speaker. Ive got one going into my Mako 112 when it gets here. Its more balanced than a V30. Its tight. Gets pretty aggressive if you want it to, but also does a really nice job with cleans. Its pretty versatile. Plus, 100 watts means its hard to break it up, which I like...not a big fan of speaker break up.

• Members

One of my favourite celestions, i had 4 of them in an old 1960b and that cab destroyed buildings. very balanced apart from the way it delivers the low end, i'm yet to find a speaker that handles the lows like the k100 does. Can be ferocious at high gain, high volume applications. To me it seemed a little louder and drier than v30.

• Members

To me, a GK12100 (and the G12k85..they're the exact same speaker. Celestion just changed the name of the 85 some years back) sound like a CL80/ MC90, but not as bright in the top, bigger bass, & a darker mid range. Great speakers. Think of a big syrupy bottom end, like an eminence delta has, but clearer mids & a more polished top.

• Members

Im the odd man out here because I absolutely hated that speaker. Sounded to me like a G12T-75 with more of everything I dont like about the G12t-75. More lows and more highs , with nothing in between. It had the same scoop of the 75 , but with more lows and more razor sharp highs , it just made the scoop that more noticeable. I just flat out didnt like that speaker. Just my opinion of course

• Members

i have 4 in my avatar, they are awesome. very full and huge low end. high power handling too.

when i get the mako 412 i am thinking of running 2 k100s and 2 other speakers in a X pattern, maybe not thought bc they are a really good speaker.

• Members

Im the odd man out here because I absolutely hated that speaker. Sounded to me like a G12T-75 with more of everything I dont like about the G12t-75. More lows and more highs , with nothing in between. It had the same scoop of the 75 , but with more lows and more razor sharp highs , it just made the scoop that more noticeable. I just flat out didnt like that speaker. Just my opinion of course

WAT.

I have a k100 cab and a t75 cab, and the k100 definitely delivers more mids than the t75. It doesn't have as much low end to my ears. But to be fair, the k100 is in an open back, so perhaps that has a bit to do with my perception.

I like the k100 slightly less than t75's, for my own application. I don't play br00tz, and have mid-heavy amps.

• Members

Did you happen to have this kind then?

d7dd2628.jpg

3f613985.jpg

• Members

If someone wants heavy bottom, without the bright top & spikey mids..Go eminence. I have a Marshall MF280B that I run as a 2x12, with 2 Eminence delta LF's in it. a bit dark, but I use NMV Marshalls (bright & mid heavy) and a Randall RG100ES (another mid heavy bright amp..hell..it's pretty much like a Solid State JCM 800) so being a bit on the dark side helps to tame things. That cab with only 2 12's in it sounds bigger than my oversize 4x12 with MC90's .

• Members

what would you pair up with a K100?

i am having a rough time selling the avatar and i dont even know if 125 is worth it to me. maybe i will just keep it and get a quad of speakers when i get the mako 412. i am thinking the wgs invaders, liberators or possibly greenbacks

• Members

i am having a rough time selling the avatar and i dont even know if 125 is worth it to me. maybe i will just keep it and get a quad of speakers. i am thinking the wgs invaders, liberators or possibly greenbacks

The WGS Classic Lead 80 clones . Cant remember what they call them.

• Members

I threw a pair of K100's in an old H&K 412 w/ a pair of Eminence Governors. Still considering switching out the Gov's, but {censored} that cab sounds good now. Peters Chimera Pre-->VHT 2/50/2-->Cab and I'm like a high school kid again watching the clock until band practice.

• Members

I still prefer greenbacks and h30s (individually and combined) but the k100 is a great sounding speaker for a high-wattage, scooped mid kind of deal.

Really, it's not even that the mids are SCOOPED, it's just that they're very very flat. And being used to the huge mids of the greenback and the sparkly upper-mids of the h30, it feels like it's lacking.

But these speakers have a huge, tight bottom which allows you to really dial back the bass on your amp, for clarity's sake. If I were playing metal or the like, I imagine these would be the only speaker I ever wanted.

• Members

i am having a rough time selling the avatar and i dont even know if 125 is worth it to me. maybe i will just keep it and get a quad of speakers when i get the mako 412. i am thinking the wgs invaders, liberators or possibly greenbacks

Personally, Id do 4 of them, but if you wanna mix, Id mix them with V30s.

• Members

Are you sure you are not talking about the H100? Because you just described what I think about the H100, but the K100 is a very different speaker.

• Members

I just don't like v30s :lol:

I think if you were looking for a speaker to mix with a k100 to bump up the midrange, a v30 might sound good on paper...but v30s make me sad. A WGS vet30 might be a better option, as they're not as spikey as a regular v30 ( their Retro30 is the "direct" v30 clone) although I'd really like to try the new Invader alongside a k100.

• Members

yeah i have a wgs vet 30 paired with their et65 in my whitebox, love it. i guess i could move them to a 412 first with the k100s to see if i like that before placing an order. i am thinking of trying 2 invaders, maybe 2 of their british/classic lead 80s.

i have wanted to try greenbacks for a while though, how do you guys think they would sound like w k100s?

• Members

yeah i have
a wgs vet 30 paired with their et65
in my whitebox, love it. i guess i could move them to a 412 first with the k100s to see if i like that before placing an order. i am thinking of trying 2 invaders, maybe 2 of their british/classic lead 80s.

i have wanted to try greenbacks for a while though, how do you guys think they would sound like w k100s?

That's such a great combo. It's not my favorite (as greens/h30s will always be) but it really is a great combo

• Members

I still prefer greenbacks and h30s (individually and combined) but the k100 is a great sounding speaker for a high-wattage, scooped mid kind of deal.

Really, it's not even that the mids are SCOOPED, it's just that they're very very flat. And being used to the huge mids of the greenback and the sparkly upper-mids of the h30, it feels like it's lacking.

But these speakers have a huge, tight bottom which allows you to really dial back the bass on your amp, for clarity's sake. If I were playing metal or the like, I imagine these would be the only speaker I ever wanted.

Dolf is spot on. They have a very even freq. response. They seem to have the right amount of everything. I love them. They sound absolutely massive and tight at gig volume. They dont flub out AT ALL. I tried mixing a V30 with a K100 in a 212 and hated it. I hate V30's though so its no wonder :lol:

• Members

I've got a 4x12 of them. It's like more neutral V30 cab with more low end, but it's fairly hard to get to sound warm though. V30s when pushed hard, (as i'm sure you know) really warm up and smooth out. With these it's kinda hard to do, even with a 2203x cranked all the way up, (Master all the way, Pre gain at like 7) they just barely start to give. Now, if you want really cold metal tones, that sound the same at 8:00 on the master as they do at 1:00, this is your speaker.

Archived