Axe-FX clippage - Mic-ed vs. direct...

MattACaster

• Members

Per Nixer's Carvin TS100 thread, I decided to do a little clippage of my Axe-FX live rig jamming on some Wall of Sleep. Unfortunately, I can't mic a cab worth a damn..... :facepalm:

Anyway, this first one is my normal rhythm patch. Signal chain is...

Ibanez RG7621 -> Axe-FX Ultra -> Carvin TS100 -> Rectifier 4x12 -> SM57

The Axe is running the Recto Red model with a GEQ after it with a slight low-mid bump. The power amp sim is also engaged on it.

The clip sounded really bright in my monitors but now it sounds really dark on my speakers here at work so no clue how it will sound to everyone else...

http://soundcloud.com/nthgtofear/sun-faced-apostles-miced

For comparison, I did another direct. This is not the same patch. This one was specifically setup for recording and is actually what I used when our band was working on our EP. It's still the Recto Red with a similar EQ setup, but without thew GEQ after it and using the Axe's V30 cab sim. Same guitar too.

http://soundcloud.com/nthgtofear/sun-faced-apostles-direct

Flame away!!!

• Members

NICE thanks for doing this man! Love the riffs :thu:

I liked the highs that were on the direct recording and the warmth and lows on the mic'd tones. I bet they would be fucking AMAZING together!

say direct track / mic'd track panned 70% L/R

• Members

NICE thanks for doing this man! Love the riffs
:thu:

I liked the highs that were on the direct recording and the warmth and lows on the mic'd tones. I bet they would be fucking AMAZING together!

say direct track / mic'd track panned 70% L/R

No problem!

I think I'm going to give it another try. The mic-ed clip doesn't do the rig justice at all, IMO.

• Members

No problem!

I think I'm going to give it another try. The mic-ed clip doesn't do the rig justice at all, IMO.

Kick ass. Did you say you have the older one? I just snagged one for 300 :) These clips got me itchin....

what tubes?

• Members

Nah, mind is a silver one. New from Carvin less than a year ago. It's still running the stock tubes.

Welp...I cant really tell a diff between the new ones and old ones.....from what ive seen. Maybe there is but if the oldies are less hi-fi that works for me because im only using it for stage volume and everything else is FOH!

Im stoked. I wonder if the old one can run diff tubes per-side...IIRC theres a trim pot for both pairs. hmmmmmmm

• Members

Welp...I cant really tell a diff between the new ones and old ones.....from what ive seen. Maybe there is but if the oldies are less hi-fi that works for me because im only using it for stage volume and everything else is FOH!

Im stoked. I wonder if the old one can run diff tubes per-side...IIRC theres a trim pot for both pairs. hmmmmmmm

I believe so. The manual on the website says you can as long as you don't bridge and the pic on the front is off the black version...

• Members

I believe so. The manual on the website says you can as long as you don't bridge and the pic on the front is off the black version...

SICK rigs!

Since you seem to live in rectoville...how does the axe hold up? Im finding the marshall is pretty legit as far as the Plexi and 900 go but the 800 is a little off imo. the 5150 is pretty close too.

• Members

SICK rigs!

Since you seem to live in rectoville...how does the axe hold up? Im finding the marshall is pretty legit as far as the Plexi and 900 go but the 800 is a little off imo. the 5150 is pretty close too.

There is actually a Rectoverb behind that guitar case on the right of that pic too. :lol:

I find that it doesn't take much effort to dial in a pretty convincing Recto tone using the Recto Red model. I've tried messing with the Recto New model but could never get anything out of it I really liked. It seems a little loose as it but I just crank the dampening up and it starts to feel better to me. Much more like the Triple in that pic.

What do you think is off about the 800 model?

• Members

There is actually a Rectoverb behind that guitar case on the right of that pic too.
:lol:

I find that it doesn't take much effort to dial in a pretty convincing Recto tone using the Recto Red model. I've tried messing with the Recto New model but could never get anything out of it I really liked. It seems a little loose as it but I just crank the dampening up and it starts to feel better to me. Much more like the Triple in that pic.

What do you think is off about the 800 model?

Yea the Recto new is very....crisp? I dig the SHIT out of the Recto orange.

As far as the 800 goes there it seems a tad more "blooming" low end and not enough gain....im probably doin it wrong or there my preference is the plexi.

• Members

Yea the Recto new is very....crisp? I dig the SHIT out of the Recto orange.

As far as the 800 goes there it seems a tad more "blooming" low end and not enough gain....im probably doin it wrong or there my preference is the plexi.

Ah, I got ya. I've never played a single channel 800 before so I don't have a frame of reference.

For our band's EP, we used the Axe for everything. For the dirty rhythm guitar I used the Recto Red and the other guitarist used the Das Metal. Then, to thicken everything up I layered a Plexi behind my tracks and he used the 800. Came out niiiiiiice and thick. :thu:

• Members

Ah, I got ya. I've never played a single channel 800 before so I don't have a frame of reference.

For our band's EP, we used the Axe for everything. For the dirty rhythm guitar I used the Recto Red and the other guitarist used the Das Metal. Then, to thicken everything up I layered a Plexi behind my tracks and he used the 800. Came out niiiiiiice and thick.
:thu:

nice!

Das Metall is a sweet amp sim....Ive been using that pretty heavily.

Archived