Is it normal to be able to blow air through your eye socket?

Mind Riot

• Members

I was driving over a mountain pass and waiting for my ears to pop. I pinched my nose and blew to do it manually, and felt this tickling in my right eye near my nose. I held up a finger to it and blew again, and freaking air was coming out around my eyeball.

It's happened a few more times since then if I go to blow my nose. I can't do it at will, but it does seem to pop up every now and then.

I wonder if I'm just going to blow my eyeball out with air pressure someday. Man, that'd be a bummer.

Anyone else experienced this? :freak:

• Members

Yes. The same thing started to happen to me when I was in the 20's and the first time it kinda freaked me out. But I guess all those pipes up there have just become too clogged from all the shit we breathe.

I don't know half of the proper english or latin names for those things but tear duct is in fact connected to your nose, and from your nose to your mouth. "Swallowing your tears" is somewhat literal expression. So there's a pathway and enough pressure will force air through it.

dry_eye_1_ezr.jpg

Anyway, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

held up a finger to it and blew again, and freaking air was coming out around my eyeball.

Wait until you accidentally do that in the shower under running water while holding your eyes closed.... THAT is a fucking bizarre feeling and can hurt like hell. :freak:

• Members

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care-Archive/Really-weird---Air-comes-out-of-eye/show/372233

totally and completely normal.

everyone has a "hole" in the corner of their eyelid called the "punctum". its for draining tears. it drains directly into your nose. this is why everyone gets a runny nose when they cry. excessive tears will cause runny nose b/c they all drain into your nose.

well in your case you've noticed the opposite: you can blow air out your punctum by blowing your nose. lots and lots and lots of people can do this.

its absolutely nothing to be worried about. no..there's nothing that can "be done" to stop it.

• Members

If there's a fracture in your sinus you can get a totally different situation. If you ever put your finger into a skull eye socket and felt those thin fragile bones there...there's sinuses on the other side. Cracking those bones from injury can create a communication between your nose and eye socket....But what will happen is the eyes will actually pop out when you plug your nose and blow. It can be really dangerous. Bacterial infections of the socket can happen.

I'm thinking you are just blowing air out your puncta (not your eye socket itself) which is a parlor trick

Some people can even blow out a candle that way.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I broke my orbital socket a few years ago (well someone else did the actual breaking) but after it happened I didn't know any better and I blew my nose and when I did my eyeball actually rolled out of the socket and was hanging there so mangled that when the police got there they thought my boyfriend did it to me (HE DIDNT), question is I went to hospital and had a orbital fracture and its been 3 or 4 years and I ve since been diagnosed with Graves disease and I just went to pop my ears and I pinched my nose and when I did air came out my eye and it felt like it was gonna come out my head again so I immediately stopped. But do I go to the ER NOW??

• Members

please refrain from following medical advice obtained on a musicians phorum filled with miscreants and social rejects...  oh wait, im being redundant, again...  if you or anyone, for that matter, think you may need medical or health related questions answered... go see a {censored}ing doctor...

thank you.    

ahhhhhh... my work here is done... 

Archived