Recommend me a cool 80's shredder axe that is slightly obscure

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Man, this thread is bringing back memories...I started playing in 91 when Enter Sandman came out (Kirks solo made me pick up guitar) and even though I was just on the cusp I was a total shredder up until the late 90's, and I don't know whether they came out in the 80's or 90's, but I had an Ibby Roadstar 2 and that thing was a TOTAL {censored}ing 80's shred machine regardless of when it was made LOL

• Members

Please please please explain how you did this!!! This is awesome.

- Sanded down the body and neck right down to the grain with 150 grit, then brought it back up to 220 grit.

- Stained in the "islands", back and sides of the body with an analine dye I bought from Lee Valley, using a small rag to rub the color in. let dry for a day

- Put one thin coat of tru-oil over the whole guitar to pop that grain a little bit, let dry for another day

- With a very fine pointed indian ink pen, spent 6 hours drawing the graphics on top. I also did the headstock the same way, even hand drew the headstock logo

- I let it sit for a couple days because I was working on the neck

- Finally I started adding one thin coat of tru-oil per day over the body and neck and let it hang for 24 hours between each coat. Gave it a very light brushover with 0000 steel wool to remove any high points or dust, then wiped clean with a rag. I did this for 6 days. So the guitar has 7 coats of tru-oil in total.

- Sanding, graphics, tru-oiling, waiting for some parts, reassembly and set-up took a total of 3 weeks at a slow pace.

540021_10151422111205263_624780262_23504

• Members
- Sanded down the body and neck right down to the grain with 150 grit, then brought it back up to 220 grit.

-
Stained in the "islands", back and sides of the body with an analine dye I bought from Lee Valley, using a small rag to rub the color in. let dry for a day
- Put one thin coat of tru-oil over the whole guitar to pop that grain a little bit, let dry for another day

-
With a very fine pointed indian ink pen, spent 6 hours drawing the graphics on top. I also did the headstock the same way, even hand drew the headstock logo
- I let it sit for a couple days because I was working on the neck

- Finally I started adding one thin coat of tru-oil per day over the body and neck and let it hang for 24 hours between each coat. Gave it a very light brushover with 0000 steel wool to remove any high points or dust, then wiped clean with a rag. I did this for 6 days. So the guitar has 7 coats of tru-oil in total.

- Sanding, graphics, tru-oiling, waiting for some parts, reassembly and set-up took a total of 3 weeks at a slow pace.

540021_10151422111205263_624780262_23504

Did you use some kind of an overlay or stencil or was this all freehand?

Looks incredible!

• Members

There can be only one: Kahler Trem, hybrid neck, 24 frets, fastest guitar in history. The strings are actually UNDER the frets (well...it just seems that way) And no, that's not me but I have one!

Guild X-88

l.jpg

• Members

There can be only one: Kahler Trem, hybrid neck, 24 frets, fastest guitar in history. The strings are actually UNDER the frets (well...it just seems that way) And no, that's not me but I have one!

Guild X-88

l.jpg

That guy looks just as metal as those curtains.

• Members

Did you use some kind of an overlay or stencil or was this all freehand?

Looks incredible!

thank you! :-)

Yes, all freehand, eyeballing pictures up on my laptop from a guitar that inspired the finish. (look up thorn treasure map on google) and an hour or so doing "practice sketches" on a notepad before doing them on the guitar itself. but no templates or overlays used, just patience and a bad case of OCD.... it was tedious as hell. lol!

I had an email conversation with the guy (dan lawrence) who finished the thorn treasure map guitar and he was a wealth of knowledge. He finished his top coats differently, he didn't use tru-oil. He's a pro at this, I'm not even close. The best tip he gave me was the type of pen he used to do the graphics, which I still couldn't find the brand name of pen in locally but I found something that was very similar with the same type of ink.

Here's the refinish thread I posted on HC last year: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2793053-Refinishing-a-guitar-check-it-out.&highlight=#

• Members
thank you! :-)

Yes, all freehand, eyeballing pictures up on my laptop from a guitar that inspired the finish. (
look up thorn treasure map on google
) and an hour or so doing "practice sketches" on a notepad before doing them on the guitar itself. but no templates or overlays used, just patience and a bad case of OCD.... it was tedious as hell. lol!

I had an email conversation with the guy (dan lawrence) who finished the thorn treasure map guitar and he was a wealth of knowledge. He finished his top coats differently, he didn't use tru-oil. He's a pro at this, I'm not even close. The best tip he gave me was the type of pen he used to do the graphics, which I still couldn't find the brand name of pen in locally but I found something that was very similar with the same type of ink.

Here's the refinish thread I posted on HC last year:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2793053-Refinishing-a-guitar-check-it-out.&highlight=#

Dan is a bad ass for sure. He has done some amazing work for Jackson and I think he did all this Nagel BC Riches back in the day..

• Members

ibanez Skolnick signature:

89_ibanez_skolnick_540pii.jpg

I'm glad that somebody posted about the Ibanez 540P (the unofficial Alex Skolnick model)

wish i had one, too bad they are super rare and sell for a grand usually

• Members

There are three fusions available for 300 each right now. Tempted.

Just found a SICK axe i am trying to get my hands on! Apparently when LTD first came out they made an M-II that was seriously exactly on par with the ESP, just manufactured in Korea, with all of the same parts (tuners, pickups, schaller bridge). Sexy stained ash body, {censored} those tremolos are worth $150 new and apparently the used value on these is 200-300. Definitely worth it to me, those ESP J-200 series pickups are supposed to sound pretty rad.

IMG_0265-1.jpg

• Members

There are three fusions available for 300 each right now. Tempted.

Just found a SICK axe i am trying to get my hands on! Apparently when LTD first came out they made an M-II that was seriously exactly on par with the ESP, just manufactured in Korea, with all of the same parts (tuners, pickups, schaller bridge). Sexy stained ash body, {censored} those tremolos are worth $150 new and apparently the used value on these is 200-300. Definitely worth it to me, those ESP J-200 series pickups are supposed to sound pretty rad.

IMG_0265-1.jpg

Love the color on that. Ash, right? That's an ESP Fusion?