Recommend me a cool 80's shredder axe that is slightly obscure

-Assy-

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This.

In the late 80's, I wanted one of those so bad.

American Music had a brand new White one, but it was $1,500!

Instead, I bought an old stock Kramer Stagemaster for $900 at the now gone Kenelly Keys at Bellevue square.

I remember that! Oh, and the Kennelly Keys is still there; just moved to the second floor. The one I really wanted during that period was Kramer Baretta that Seattle Music had with Gumby and Pokey painted on it!

• Members

1988 Ibanez 540s "Saber", which had a name change to the just "540S" due to trademark infringement. This guitar was the precursor to the "Satriani" "JS" model, and sports a Ibanez Edge trem, double humbuckers, coil splits, Wizard 1 uber-thin neck, very thin mahogany body, and the Ibanez backstop system for the trem that keeps it in tune even if a string breaks or you drop-tune. Both of mine are '88's (the black & awful purple in the pic below), and yes, both rock!!!

dsc0956trim.jpg

Catalog:
11.jpg
12.jpg

• Members
I almost worked for Zion, I regret not doing that for a year just to make a few guitars for myself
:cry:

I've had 3 different Hamer USAs. I love catching the Diablos and chaps for under 400, so much guitar for the money
:thu:

Anyone a Charvel pro? There are some SERIOUS looking charvels on guitarcenters used site for under 400.

I love Zion guitars. I almost took a job in Gibson's custom shop and kinda wish I had.

• Members

Yamaha RGX1212S:

willsguitars001.jpg

Samick Radio Ten (or TV Twenty)

021-1.jpg

Other examples that I haven't owned but still love:

*Valley Arts Custom Pro

*Starfield Cabriolet

*Washburn Steve Stevens

*Hamer Centura

*Gibson WRC

*Guild Liberator

W.

I have the RGX1212s. You've changed yamaha's trem for a floyd? I actually enjoy the blade-less trem. It doesn't wear out and it is really stable. Don't even bother to double lock it. No lock at all actually, I just slot the strings from behind.

By the way neck shape is almost perfect and one of the best built guitars in total. Can be found for really cheap but rare. Ebony, 5 piece neck through alder wings. And gibson scale!

Although mine looks like this in metallic blue with mini toggles

_c475791_image_0.jpg

• Members

I can't believe nobody posted a Westone Dynasty or a Monarch... Both made in Japan during the Jap heyday of elect[ATTACH=CONFIG]346149[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346150[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]346151[/ATTACH]ric guitars at the Matsumoku plant. Home of Aria, Elektra and Vantage

• Members

How bout Leslie West and his Westone Dynasty?

attachment.php?attachmentid=346152&d=133

I had one but didn't like the neck. I ended up finding an old Ibanez RG for cheap that had a broken body, so I put the Ibanez neck on the Dynasty and replaced the 'buckers, though I also repainted it crappily with spray paint. I think I also replaced the tremolo with the one from the Ibanez or with a Floyd off another guitar. A friend had a number of those guitars and bought up any he could find.

• Members

I have serious $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, trying to find a guitar soon!

If I were looking for a shredder style axe right now, I would be all over this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Yamaha-RGX-612a-Electric-Guitar-Active-PU-/320919463960?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ab84a6818#ht_500wt_1156

Or, depending upon why it is "as is", this one:

GJ4CWlnnOEWSEb1fB4MHmQ.JPG

http://musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=yamaha&cid=1&scid=161&sid=0&z=&d=10&min=&max=&c=10&ob=6

Actually scratch that. I would go for the blue one regardless. Those guitars are just pure awesome covered in win sauce.

Archived