People who have played/owned a Fortin amp, or Fortin modded amp ->

Slaymoar

• Members

I've heard clips where I get a bit of an idea of the tone, but you can never replicated vid/audio vs actually playing it and getting the feel..

Do they sound as good as some people say in practical situations? Like practice, or live?

• Members

My Bones sounded awesome in practice. I didn't own it long enough to get to play it live (financial troubles).

It sounded a lot like a VH-4, but without the ridiculously overcompressed feel.

Tight and punchy...not huge bass, but bass that just hit you in the chest. The complete opposite of a Recto.

• Members

Mike rebuilt my Uberschall and it is completely badass. The clean channel is chimey and Fenderish. The gain channel can go from low gain to massive gain and still stay clear and articulate. It's massive sounding!

I've seen that in your pics. What does "rebuilt" all entail?

• Members

I've seen that in your pics. What does "rebuilt" all entail?

Swapping resisters and caps is more of a mod, Mike did much more than that to the Uber. Changed the tone stack, added a gain stage, added depth, presence and gain controls.... The clean channel is nothing like stock, the gain channel can still cop the Uber vibe but it does so much more now.

• Members

Swapping resisters and caps is more of a mod, Mike did much more than that to the Uber. Changed the tone stack, added a gain stage, added depth, presence and gain controls.... The clean channel is nothing like stock, the gain channel can still cop the Uber vibe but it does so much more now.

That's pretty extensive. Did you buy it modded, or have it modded? If you had it modded, what prompted you to have it rebuilt that far? Seems like for all the work, another amp might have been in order.

• Members

That's pretty extensive. Did you buy it modded, or have it modded? If you had it modded, what prompted you to have it rebuilt that far? Seems like for all the work, another amp might have been in order.

I bought the amp. Had some mods done and still didn't love it. Folks said to sell it but at the time time, the Uber's weren't fetching much and since it was modded it would likely have been worth less at the time. I figured if I sent it to Mike and loved it, I would be happy and if I still didn't like it, I figured I could sell it and probably come close to breaking even since his Marshall mods were holding their value pretty well. Plus his amp builds and mods were hard to come by at the time.

Archived