Buying tubes from GC?

MattACaster

• Members

lol if you just need a preamp tube or 2 just go to GC next door to you... the cost of gas to drive that far is not worth it. If you need a full retube, that's a different story.

I'm pretty sure the power tubes are good. I think I just have a bad pre or two. Figured if there was something at least passable I could grab a couple for this weekend and then do a total retube with something decent when I'm less pressed for time and just keep the GC tubes as backups.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the power tubes are good. I think I just have a bad pre or two. Figured if there was something at least passable I could grab a couple for this weekend and then do a total retube with something decent when I'm less pressed for time and just keep the GC tubes as backups.

sounds like a good plan!!! Always good to have backup tubes.

• Members

sounds like a good plan!!! Always good to have backup tubes.

Totally. I always just brought a backup head (Rocpro 1000) with me to shows but now I am so dependant on effects that I'm not sure I could go without the Axe-FX/TS100 rig for a show. :cry:

• Members

Yeah, if you just need 1 or 2 pre tubes, {censored} it...GC will be the quickest...although, if Laura or Loop can hook you up with next day shipping for nothing extra...Id probably do that, cuz Id be too lazy to even go the 5 minutes to GC :lol:

• Members

Some of the GCs around here carry Mesa/Boogie tubes, I believe.

they sure do. For $22 a piece. :mad:

I bought a couple when that Bassman was having issues just because I wanted it to work right then and there OR take it back. I had spares at home, but didn't want to drive that far since GC was 2 minutes away from the old rehearsal space.

Well, tubes didn't help it nor would they take their overpriced Mesa tubes back. Oh well, $44 lesson. Took the Bassman back thankfully.

• Members

they sure do. For $22 a piece.
:mad:

I bought a couple when that Bassman was having issues just because I wanted it to work right then and there OR take it back. I had spares at home, but didn't want to drive that far since GC was 2 minutes away from the old rehearsal space.

Well, tubes didn't help it nor would they take their overpriced Mesa tubes back. Oh well, $44 lesson. Took the Bassman back thankfully.

They didn't take them back??? Oh wtf?? :mad:

Here they do take them back within 30 days.

• Members

they sure do. For $22 a piece.
:mad:

$22!!

Wow!!!

• Members

My other guitarist bought his tubes for his Orange from the highland park GC. Got a good price to (discounted). Amp works and sounds great :thu:

I'm all for supporting small guys, but they magically get better tubes of the same brand. I'm also unwilling to drive further than necessary. :lol: at people that think his amp will break down cause he bought tubes at GC and not "Moe's basement shop" that will charge even more

• Members

I usually buy my tubes online, but back when I owned a Peavey XXX, I had one of those situations where I had to replace some fried power tubes stat, so I reluctantly went to GC. I bought some Groove Tube EL34s, and believe it or not, that amp never sounded better after I put those tubes in it.

• Members

My other guitarist bought his tubes for his Orange from the highland park GC. Got a good price to (discounted). Amp works and sounds great
:thu:

I'm all for supporting small guys, but they magically get better tubes of the same brand. I'm also unwilling to drive further than necessary.
:lol:
at people that think his amp will break down cause he bought tubes at GC and not "Moe's basement shop" that will charge even more

It's just joking around, dude. The main issues with GC are that it's A.) {censored}in' GC full of corporate douchebaggery implemented by non-musician losers B.) their selection is limited and overpriced (well, Mesa is fixed price but definitely too high) and C.) there are online shops like Laura's that have good selection AND good prices AND they're run by great people.

Archived