Tube questions

Belva

• Members

S6002278.jpg

S6002280.jpg

What we have here is a Peavey Nanovalve in a home built cab with a 12" Alnico organ speaker. Much improvement over the raspy P.O.S. 8" stocker. I replaced the stock EH 12AX7 pre with a JJ's ECC81 and now it works like a Champ with OD starting about half volume. So far I've left the Sovtek EL84 alone while cycling thru a myriad of pre tubes. At about 3/4 volume it starts to get a bit farty for my tastes. Any recommendations for power tubes? I'm mostly a classic rock/blues player.

Thanks

• Members

I've tried three EL84s in my Crate Palomino V8

1) Stock Groove Tubes (Sovtek) - was fine but a little bright and harsh

2) NOS RCA 6BQ5 clear glass from Brent Jessee - strong clear sounding but a little too dynamic

3) JJ EL84 - early breakup option, from Doug's Tubes - darker, still in there.

So yes, I'm not an expert but trying the JJ might be fun; on the other hand if you've ever wanted to try NOS tubes the EL84s are widely available and inexpensive.

• Members
I've tried three EL84s in my Crate Palomino V8

1) Stock Groove Tubes (Sovtek) - was fine but a little bright and harsh

2) NOS RCA 6BQ5 clear glass from Brent Jessee - strong clear sounding but a little too dynamic

3) JJ EL84 - early breakup option, from Doug's Tubes - darker, still in there.

So yes, I'm not an expert but trying the JJ might be fun; on the other hand if you've ever wanted to try NOS tubes the EL84s are widely available and inexpensive.

probably a good tube for the V8 since it is quite bright to begin with. I do love that tone control circuit on that amp. Very versatile!

• Members

probably a good tube for the V8 since it is quite bright to begin with. I do love that tone control circuit on that amp. Very versatile!

I liked what it did to the midrange best when turned clockwise, but it got a little muddy, so I increased the value of the C9 capacitor and now it sounds better, at least to me.

• Members

Wayne, you're correct, I just looked on Da Bay and EL84/6BQ5's are a dime a dozen. I'm just trying to smooth the high volume part out. Harsh is a good word for it at full volume. And with 5 watt amps, it ain't on unless it's on 10!!

• Members

I disagree with that and I've owned or do own quite a few of them.

Figure of speech. This is my first 5 watter and I really don't wanna be making any mods to the amp itself other than what I've already done. But on those occasions when I doo turn it all the way up I want less harsh.

Archived