Adding a choke to the JSX

DrakkarTyrannis

• Members

What do you guys think? I'm loving the sound of my amp currently..but I'm wondering if a choke will tighten up the low end. It's not something I seriously need but I figure a choke is 40 bucks..what harm could it do?

Anyone added a choke to their amps? I'd love to hear what you think, especially if it was an Ultra series from Peavey

• Members

I'm well aware the change is minor, but if it helps and it's 40 bucks then why not? I'm just wondering if it's so minor that it's not really even worth it

Can you do it yourself? I say its worth it if that's the case but if you have to pay a tech... maybe not.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I know this is an old thread but the JSX is an amazing head and a doesn’t need to be forgotten.   One of peavy’s best amps.   

A choke interacts with tubes in such a way as to let them run more efficiently.   An amp with a choke will experience a higher grade of performance.   At the end of the day it depends on the specs of the tube but adding a choke to the circuit lets the tube perform closer to ideal by taking some of the load off the circuit inside the amp.   It’s really hard to explain this is general terms.   If you run your amps loud and push them hard a choke will make a noticeable difference.   If you play at low volumes your tubes won’t really know the difference.   

Archived