How to do DJ'ing for fun and profit?

jerryjg

• Members

Ive got a lot of nice PA gear. I ve got some few effects( rotateing lights, fog machine, what have you.I could get a dual CD player. (I do not have any music though.

Where do i get the music.I have cassete decks, reel to reels and turntables, and a lot of classical, country and classic rock as well as jazz and easy listening on tape, vynil cd and reel to reel, but not too much on CD.

I could put an add in the paper.

Im not looking to be a hip hop DJ, cause I'm an old man, but id like to do functions, even classical music and Classic rock, and easy listening and jazz and stuf like that for parties and outdoor functions. Can I make money?

It seems like fun. I'd like to get some return on all this expensive PA gear I have now.Thanks

• Members

Ive got a lot of nice PA gear. I ve got some few effects( rotateing lights, fog machine, what have you.I could get a dual CD player. (I do not have any music though.

Where do i get the music.I have cassete decks, reel to reels and turntables, and a lot of classical, country and classic rock as well as jazz and easy listening on tape, vynil cd and reel to reel, but not too much on CD.

Im not looking to be a hip hop DJ, cause I'm an old man, but id like to do functions, even classical music and Classic rock, and easy listening and jazz and stuf like that for parties and outdoor functions. Can I make money?

It seems like fun. I'd like to get some return on all this expensive PA gear I have now.Thanks

Ugh....I don't know how much fun it 'tis......just got home from an event where the bride was one of those "bridezilla" types.

Don't get me wrong, there's still some PROFIT.....just don't expect to have fun all the time.

PS: don't put ads in the newspaper, its like flushing $$$ down the toilet!

Best of luck! (you'll need it) :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It sounds like you have the gear expense out of the way....I have loads of fun with it. I started with 1 other partner and have now added another. We all cover if the others are unavailable and do not take gigs that we dont want to do. Having the ability to gig when I want makes all the difference. I started with a $500 investment that included 100w and 2 low end peavey dj 2 ways and now have 5 full systems, 20,000 watts and enough foh to handle 2000 outside. Did I mention nothing bought on credit. Money is out there. Good Luck

• Members

Welcome. The intersection of DJ, FUN, and PROFIT lies somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle. Elusive, hazardous, and adventurous.

I would suggest building a collection of CDs. Songs on records and tapes can be archived and burnt on CDs. Your back and shoulders will thank you later. I gave up all vinyl 6 years ago and I've not looked back.

Don't be surprised or disappointed if all that work does not pay off immediately. Expect the worst and roll with the punches.

V.

• Members

Dude real to real, cassete, turntables, for one you will die out there trying to find songs on Real To Real, or queing songs on Cassetes, Turtables the albums will kill ya , do you know how heavey a crate is?

classical, country and classic rock as well as jazz and easy listening on tape,

Nobody wants to listen to that stuff, your not going to get paid for a event when you give them your song list. You will be out of there, next!

seems like fun

It is till you load all that stuff you got, and try to find music when someone is yelling in your ear at the top of there lungs asking for Hip Hop!

Djing is so much work, not only do you have top of the line equip, but you have to have a song library and your #1 folder has to be Hip Hop or your finished!

• Members

It is till you load all that stuff you got, and try to find music when someone is yelling in your ear at the top of there lungs asking for Hip Hop!

Djing is so much work, not only do you have top of the line equip, but you have to have a song library and your #1 folder has to be Hip Hop or your finished!

There's no need to scare the OP off. The OP is not looking to be a hip-hop DJ and has clearly stated that. There's an entire universe of music outside the realm of hip-hop. :cop:

Yes, there is a market for it. It'll take a little planning, advertising, networking and a bit of luck but it is not impossible.

V.

• Members

Yes your right, name a place where you think he could get away with that beside's "Deliverence".

Your making friends all over the forum. Deliverence? Name a place where it is the answer besides "Compton".

OP,

Just get out there and get it going. There is no majic wand. Step outside the box and play what the crowd wants. HIP HOP is not the cure for every event. We play a mix that everyone will have something to enjoy and not pigeon hole us as being any certain type of DJ. Diversify

Archived