So have they officially quit making Crate amps?

butterguitar

• Members

I was very fond of the GFX series amp because I could work a mean EVH-style tone out of it, and they were cheap as hell on the used market. I can't imagine how Crate is still around with them not being the only entry level cheapo amp vendor now.

Never owned a Powerblock, but the idea of it is shear genius as everyone says. Why discontinue a golden product like that?? :idk: Maybe they hired an outside designer/builder for the Powerblock and the contract expired? :idk:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was very fond of the GFX series amp because I could work a mean EVH-style tone out of it, and they were cheap as hell on the used market. I can't imagine how Crate is still around with them not being the only entry level cheapo amp vendor now.

Never owned a Powerblock, but the idea of it is shear genius as everyone says. Why discontinue a golden product like that??
:idk:
Maybe they hired an outside designer/builder for the Powerblock and the contract expired?
:idk:

once again, nobody bought them. That's a pretty good reason.

• Members

I had a VTX200sh head that was sweet. New prices were not what i would pay but for 200 used it was a steal. Good clean, midgain and high gain solid state equivalent 5150ish tone for cheap.

I have a powerblock and running an external preamp gets great results imo. The onboard gain is not that bad either. Does a decent crunch tone for what it cost for sure.

• Members

powerblock is the best crate label'd amp out there.

The Stealth was/is a pretty decent amp for the price. Not 'block convenient....but traditional all tube format. Very good cleans and a nice hard rock lead channel. Great poweramp section. I consider it the best Crate label amplifier.

The block was indeed a stroke of genius. A gig bag amp head? I know G-K made a small head, and Pearce? Make a few after-release tweaks...a 'block II if you will...and the shizz. Coulda been a real contender.

I have a soft spot for Crate. I did have one of the mid-level wooden crate amps....one of the few games in town. Put an overdrive and chorus in front and rocked it out. Had a few Crates since..the G130c was a lot of fun. Crate's "Shape" control was revolutionary...they put a modern modded gain structure right in the hands of of bedroom and street players.

I guess you had to be there to appreciate it. Crate and Peavey....boorah!

• Members

once again, nobody bought them. That's a pretty good reason.

Actually, right around the time the Powerblock was introduced Saint Louis Music was also bought by LOUD Technologies (formerly known as Mackie) and the company laid off about 90% of all the Saint Louis Music's key employees and also relocated a lot of the manufacturing to Vietnam. Kiss goodbye to pretty much all products introduced by the former company. ...except a select few that were rereleased under slightly different cosmetic packaging (mainly few tube amps and the GX/GFX lines that had been around for ages).

• Members
Actually, right around the time the Powerblock was introduced Saint Louis Music was also bought by LOUD Technologies (formerly known as Mackie) and the company laid off about 90% of all the Saint Louis Music's key employees and also relocated a lot of the manufacturing to Vietnam. Kiss goodbye to pretty much all products introduced by the former company. ...except a select few that were rereleased under slightly different cosmetic packaging (mainly few tube amps and the GX/GFX lines that had been around for ages).

yep. The last run of Palominos were made it Viet. I have 2 V8s, one US, one Viet. Can't tell any difference in tone between the two.

• 8 years later...

Archived