So have they officially quit making Crate amps?

butterguitar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOUD Technologies (current owner of Crate) is local and know several people that have worked then, including one Vice President. They are such a mess these days I am surprised they are making anything anymore.

Having just reported Loud Technologies to Better Business Bureau and still getting nowhere, it's one brand I actively avoid like the plague these days!

• Members

Crate produced a genuinely genius product: The Powerblock.

Less than 10 lbs, over 100 watts, could be run in Stereo, and didn't sound terrible. It was a gigging musician's answer to prayers for an emergency back-up amp, and if you live in a city where you take mass transportation, it solved so many logistical problems that it was worth it's weight in gold.

Seriously: the Powerblock was a stroke of genius.

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

This.

• Members

My first couple of amps were Crate.

They were great for what they were.

In the late 80s and 90s.

Before the invasion of cheap chinese tube gear- they were the goto for cheap.

I never had a problem with the crate amps i had owned.

They got a bad rap but made a good cheap product. Of course it didnt sound like a Marshall or Fender or Mesa.

But the clean wasnt bad and they were cheap new! I had ALOT of fun with my Crate dx 212.

I wouldnt mind getting one for {censored}s and giggles to see how it stood up to the test of time! ha

• Members

Less than 10 lbs, over 100 watts, could be run in Stereo, and didn't sound terrible. It was a gigging musician's answer to prayers for an emergency back-up amp, and if you live in a city where you take mass transportation, it solved so many logistical problems that it was worth it's weight in gold.

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

I agree.. Not only was it a great pedal platform, but it had a great mid gain overdrive tone on it's own.. Maybe the best SS tube style crunch I've heard..

Even with all the rest of the Crate hate in this thread.. While they always felt rather cheap and were usually a bit thin sounding, they really did do a decent job getting a nice high gain tone suitable for thrash.. And also the gx130 head (I think that's what it was called) did work pretty good for even heavier styles.. In fact, one of my buddies still has that head and it's always fun to play.. I would buy it from him, but the gain channel has volume fluctuations and it'll prolly die within a few days of me buying it, of course

• Members

Yeah, a few other death metal bands used it too, I think.. It does work well in the mix.. Had a bit to much fizz at loud volumes, but it sounded great at rehearsals..

Also looking back to the early 90's and my early days.. I was always jealous of friends who had the Crate combo amps.. They just had the tone of the times.. I had my Fender 85, which served me quite well when I was a youngin, til I turned 16 and finally got me a real amp.. But I still used that 85 for home practice til I was 19 or so..{censored}ing near 10 years playing death/thrash/speed metal that thing..! Lol

• Members

The power blocks were a great platform, but the survival rate of these amps just appeared low from my perspective. Maybe there was a power supply or other issue that could have been ironed out with a newer model. I've never felt confident pushing these amps hard being in a six square inch box.

I liked the old 60w voodoo, their VC series was ok, and crate solid state sounds more or less the same as fender/marshall/line 6/peavey ss.

• Members

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

LOL. I was looking for a used one on ebay and they are asking $200.00+ for these things. They were like $99.00 new.

• Members
A local store has a power block for $200. WTF??

QUOTE]

LOL. I was flat broke the whole time these were being sold new so, I was looking to pick up a used one recently on ebay thinking that since they were under $100.00 when new that I should be able to get one for cheap. Well, the prices were $200.00+.

• Members

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

I saw a used one of these the other day at GC, and was wondering what the hell it was. Sounds like it would come in handy for all kinds of situations

• Members

LOL. I was flat broke the whole time these were being sold new so, I was looking to pick up a used one recently on ebay thinking that since they were under $100.00 when new that I should be able to get one for cheap. Well, the prices were $200.00+.

I got mine for $99 from used.guitarcenter.com.

• Members

I bought a crate cab around 12 years ago that came stock with brit vintage 30s (they were badging that on the front) and they were still owned by st lous at that point. Still have the cab, still sounds good. IIRC they had the power block out either shortly after or at the same time, but I can't remember. I remember the XXX was a fairly new thing at the time, playing one and not liking it. :lol:

Of course, it also took my noob ass a month to figure out that said cab was wired out of a phase. All well, chalk that up to nooby mcnoobyness.

I haven't been impressed with anything they have done in the last 8 years.

• Members

LOL. I was looking for a used one on ebay and they are asking $200.00+ for these things. They were like $99.00 new.

When the PB was first released, the street price was $199. I bought one for my daughter to use as a bass head, and it works well for that. I ended up buying another for myself when GC blew them out for $69. They had 12 of them in stock when the sale started. They were sold out in four hours. It's a great amp for $69. It's just an okay amp for $200. If Crate could have priced them at around $129 from the start, they'd probably still be in production.

• Members

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

they discontinued it because no one bought them at their profitable price and everyone who heard them here initially slagged them horribly in the traditional Crate manner. It wasn't until they were being closed out at a severe loss that they suddenly became a great idea and a good sounding amp. I bought about a dozen of them when they were $59-69 each and re-sold them all for 130-150 each. I even used two of them for about a year before getting double $$ out of them.

• Members
I have a Powerblock, it's pretty damned bossy.

Kinda sounds like crap on it's own but just slap a good pedal in front of it or an AMT preamp in the loop and it turns in to a killer lil rig.

I used one of mine as a vocal monitor amp for about a year in my duo.

Archived