So have they officially quit making Crate amps?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So basically they still make the same amps since 2006. My god.....

I think they know, on some level, that their name is poison*. It's telling that when they joined the overseas, low priced, small amp rush a few years back, they did it under the Blackheart brand name.

* ETA: ironic, since I distinctly remember CC Deville endorsing them back in the 80s.

• Members

Crate produced a genuinely genius product: The Powerblock.

Less than 10 lbs, over 100 watts, could be run in Stereo, and didn't sound terrible. It was a gigging musician's answer to prayers for an emergency back-up amp, and if you live in a city where you take mass transportation, it solved so many logistical problems that it was worth it's weight in gold.

Seriously: the Powerblock was a stroke of genius.

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

• Members

Less than 10 lbs, over 100 watts, could be run in Stereo, and didn't sound terrible. It was a gigging musician's answer to prayers for an emergency back-up amp, and if you live in a city where you take mass transportation, it solved so many logistical problems that it was worth it's weight in gold.

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

I read this entire post in a German accent.

• Members

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

I remember reading about that. IIRC, it would also handle wildly fluctuating voltages from like 90 to 140 volts, just in case you wanted to play in the middle of a lake or on top of a mountain with sloppy generator power or some such...:love:

Discontinued....:facepalm:

• Members

i always wondered about the powerblock myself. never ended up needing poweramp though

PowerBlock is one of their greatest small amp solutions imo. I grabbed three when GC was closing them out for $59. So many thought Crate would do another version after the sell off and discontinued PB, but it never happened.

• Members

What did Crate do?

They discontinued it.

^^^ This

I still own one of these , brilliant bit of kit.

I take it to every gig , it has saved me a few times , hell its even been used as a bass head once and as a poweramp to run a foldback wedge.