Recommend Me A Head (100w, 1 Channel, $2Ki-ish)

notjonahbutnoah

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is a '72 DR103. Look at the inside chassis pics and decide for yourself if you think it's messed up :thu:

It will scare you, straight up.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1110119&highlight=hiwatt

Here is a mid 90's DR103:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiWatt-Custom-100-DR103-Audio-Brothers-Amp-Head-mid-1990s-Reissue-/320962172707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abad61723

again, the milspec wiring and meticulous attention to detail should result in you buying your last amplifier of your life. They're not toys, and shouldn't need anything but tubes/caps for the rest of your life. Any tech could easily work on one of these guys, and Partridge Transformers are top tier.

• Members

Here is a '72 DR103. Look at the inside chassis pics and decide for yourself if you think it's messed up
:thu:

It will scare you, straight up.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1110119&highlight=hiwatt

Here is a mid 90's DR103:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiWatt-Custom-100-DR103-Audio-Brothers-Amp-Head-mid-1990s-Reissue-/320962172707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abad61723

again, the milspec wiring and meticulous attention to detail should result in you buying your last amplifier of your life. They're not toys, and shouldn't need anything but tubes/caps for the rest of your life. Any tech could easily work on one of these guys, and Partridge Transformers are top tier.

+1, that's definitely the way to go.

• Members

I'm not sure if you want a clean amp that stays clean or an amp that will saturate and distort or a single channel high-gain amp. So I'll just recommend single-channel amps I like :)

Peters:

He offers a bunch of different "models." You can pick multiple "models" and he can either combine them into a multi-channel amp or you can just pick one.

Mako Dorado or Makoplex:

Single channel, Mil-Spec. Hand-made. Great quality. Good prices. One is voiced like a Marshall. The other more modern.

Fortin Bones:

Single channel. Hot rodded Marshall. Aggressive and mean.

VHT/Fryette Deliverance:

Pretty good stuff. No loop. Good sound.

Hot-rodded Marshall (Friedman, Cameron, Bray, Gower, etc.):

Self-explanitary

Ceriatone Chupacabra/Yeti:

Hot-rodded Marshall. Based off the classic Jose schematic. Single-channel, goes from Plexi to modern high-gain. Available in 50 or 100 watts. Chupa is brighter. Yeti is darker, tighter.

There are probably more. But I cant' think of any off the top of my head.

• Members

Oh, thanks for all the responses here guys! This thread has been {censored}ing mega helpful! :wave:

Grrrr, those Hiwatts look great.

I'm not sure if you want a clean amp that stays clean or an amp that will saturate and distort or a single channel high-gain amp. So I'll just recommend single-channel amps I like
:)

Peters:

He offers a bunch of different "models." You can pick multiple "models" and he can either combine them into a multi-channel amp or you can just pick one.

Mako Dorado or Makoplex:

Single channel, Mil-Spec. Hand-made. Great quality. Good prices. One is voiced like a Marshall. The other more modern.

Fortin Bones:

Single channel. Hot rodded Marshall. Aggressive and mean.

VHT/Fryette Deliverance:

Pretty good stuff. No loop. Good sound.

Hot-rodded Marshall (Friedman, Cameron, Bray, Gower, etc.):

Self-explanitary

Ceriatone Chupacabra/Yeti:

Hot-rodded Marshall. Based off the classic Jose schematic. Single-channel, goes from Plexi to modern high-gain. Available in 50 or 100 watts. Chupa is brighter. Yeti is darker, tighter.

There are probably more. But I cant' think of any off the top of my head.

I just need to be able to get LOUD without much power tube interference. It's more for practice. We're in a small room, our drummer is loud, other guitarist has a 5150>1960A, bassist has a Mesa Basis M-2000>Ampeg 810. I mean, the cleans can have a bit of bite, I mean I like a touch, it just sounds nicer in a mix, but they gotta be clean ya know.

We're a punk band but we have songs with some heavier quasi metal bridges, and other songs that have straight up reggae parts. So sometimes, I need loud cleans, not often, but sometimes.

BuzzofAngels is working with me on the Peters. Man, that thing is pure sex to me. I mean it looks amazing, like way amazing, but the features are just exactly what I want. the bias sockets... yes. If it has the headroom he says it does, than 50w is actually a plus because tubes will be cheaper... AND since it only uses a pair and it's easy to bias, I can do more experimentation with tubes.

I'm close to pulling the trigger here guys.

• Members

Oh, thanks for all the responses here guys! This thread has been {censored}ing mega helpful!
:wave:

I just need to be able to get LOUD without much power tube interference. It's more for practice. We're in a small room, our drummer is loud, other guitarist has a 5150>1960A, bassist has a Mesa Basis M-2000>Ampeg 810. I mean, the cleans can have a bit of bite, I mean I like a touch, it just sounds nicer in a mix, but they gotta be clean ya know.

We're a punk band but we have songs with some heavier quasi metal bridges, and other songs that have straight up reggae parts. So sometimes, I need loud cleans, not often, but sometimes.

Sleewell is working with me on the Peters. Man, that thing is pure sex to me. I mean it looks amazing, like way amazing, but the features are just exactly what I want. the bias sockets... yes. If it has the headroom he says it does, than 50w is actually a plus because tubes will be cheaper... AND since it only uses a pair and it's easy to bias, I can do more experimentation with tubes.

Also...and I don't know if you're familiar with this or not, but James Peters himself is a forumite here. I haven't seen him post in a while, but I do know that some of the guys here know how to get in contact with him. He may be able to come in here and answer your questions directly.

• Members

Also...and I don't know if you're familiar with this or not, but James Peters himself is a forumite here. I haven't seen him post in a while, but I do know that some of the guys here know how to get in contact with him. He may be able to come in here and answer your questions directly.

I actually saw that while reading about the Halo.

Might try to message him.

• Members

I actually saw that while reading about the Halo.

Might try to message him.

I've never personally spoken with the guy, but every post I've seen him make on this forum has been very informative and helpful, and he seems like a stand-up dude. Everyone else who HAS spoken with him speaks very highly of him. :thu:

• Members

I've never personally spoken with the guy, but every post I've seen him make on this forum has been very informative and helpful, and he seems like a stand-up dude. Everyone else who HAS spoken with him speaks very highly of him.
:thu:

That. Had I the scratch, I'd have no qualms or hesitations about doing business with him, purely based on what I know of him from the message boards. :thu:

• Members

Ok, I'm sick of complicated channel switching amps.

I've had 3 Mesa amps and while they all sounded good, they've all had issues. I also hate tube changes because you just never know if it's gonna work out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

That and having them serviced is expensive and takes forever since there are so few techs that can handle them around.

I'm {censored}in done son.

I want something more reliable and easy to service.

Here are the MUSTS:

-LOTS of clean headroom (like enough to keep up with a 5150, I mean I would think 100w would be the minimum, but if there's some ridiculously loud amp that only uses 2 power tubes, tell me about it!)

-Bass/Mid/Treble Controls

-Current Production (no used amps, I don't wanna wonder if the last guy dropped it)

-$2000 limit

-It must like pedals, I mean really really like pedals:blah:

Here are the not musts, but I would really like it to:

-Come in funky colors (or at least a color that looks sweet on top of a white 1960A)

-Have an ohm selector switch as opposed to several jacks on the back

-PTP wiring would be great

-I seem to dig Brit style tones over USA ones
:idk:
-I never use FX loops

I know this sounds kinda snobby/elitist, but dammit, I'm ready to buy the amp that I die with. I've always hunted down the cheapest used version of what I want, then it has issues, they come and go, and I'm just tired of it. I have the money, I just wanna ante up and get an amp that will last forever and not take a god damn brain surgeon to fix if something does happen. SIMPLE. POWERFUL. CLEAN. LOUD. DURABLE.

Ok, thanks for reading!

So whatcha got?

HIWATT Custom 100 head...White, Red, or Black. . Done.

• Members

A question:

You said you want an amp that takes pedals well. Are you using pedals for your dirt/od/distortion (into a clean amp) or will you be boosting an amp that's already crunching up or in full on overdrive? I'm thinking the latter. I guess more simply put, since it's a single channel amp will your base tone be clean or dirty?

• Members

Oh, thanks for all the responses here guys! This thread has been {censored}ing mega helpful!
:wave:

BuzzofAngels is working with me on the Peters. Man, that thing is pure sex to me. I mean it looks amazing, like way amazing, but the features are just exactly what I want. the bias sockets... yes. If it has the headroom he says it does, than 50w is actually a plus because tubes will be cheaper... AND since it only uses a pair and it's easy to bias, I can do more experimentation with tubes.

Ok, so it sounds like you want a clean amp that stays clean. And you're gonna use pedals for your overdrive/distortion? In that case, have James Peters build you a 100 watt Halo. Or go with a Hiwatt.

• Members

If you're set on a new Peters, a brand new 100w Single Channel with the preamp of your choosing would be $2,000. It doesn't get much better built (or easier to work on) than that.

If you get a 100w Halo, it can and will stay clean at very loud volumes. You have the added benefit of getting really great classic od tones with the gain up and boost switches on. But, they have multiple outputs instead of an ohm selector. :p

I'm not quite sure how that would mean they wouldn't match up as close as a switch, though.

The used 50w could work, depending on how loud you're really talking about. His 50w amps are louder than some 100w amps. Especially with KT88s. Not a typical 50w. But it won't be quite as loud and powerful as the 100w version(I have both).

Best person to talk to about Peters amps, is James.

http://www.petersamplification.com/

• Members

seems to be exactly what you want:

That looks awesome. James got so many requests about single channels that he's got a bunch of chassis to make them to order now without waiting on parts. I love the Halo channel and I am not much of an effects guy, but I have heard great things about the loop. I haven't gone about the business of pulling a couple tubes to see what the headroom is like at 50w, but I can tell you that it's awesome at 100w. Maybe sinnerx96 can pipe in on that.

If you're at all interested in it, give James a call and he will let you know whether or not it's good for you even though he's not making money on the used sale.

Edit: sinnerx96 beat me to it. That's what I get for being at 25 posts/page.

• Members

If you're set on a new Peters, a brand new 100w Single Channel with the preamp of your choosing would be $2,000. It doesn't get much better built (or easier to work on) than that.

If you get a 100w Halo, it can and will stay clean at very loud volumes. You have the added benefit of getting really great classic od tones with the gain up and boost switches on. But, they have multiple outputs instead of an ohm selector.
:p
I'm not quite sure how that would mean they wouldn't match up as close as a switch, though.

The used 50w could work, depending on how loud you're really talking about.
His 50w amps are louder than some 100w amps. Especially with KT88s. Not a typical 50w.
But it won't be quite as loud and powerful as the 100w version(I have both).

Best person to talk to about Peters amps, is James.

http://www.petersamplification.com/

Heh, you're singin to me. I think Imma do it.

Archived