Blackstar HT5R or HT20?

charvelstrat81

• Members

What kind of music do you play or like? -- what kind of guitars are you using?

I like the HT-5 series the most out of the blackstar line, i know they are supposedly the 'same amps' (and they are very simular) but i happen to like the HT-5 amps a lil more than the others. I owned a HT 100 and 20 watt head, and played the 50, and 40 watt combos -- all solid amps with good master volumes on them, but i personally prefer the HT-5 amps a lil more

Im also talking about the original no reverb versions, - Just go get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet and the HT5 is a fun lil hard rocking amp

:thu:

• Members

What kind of music do you play or like? -- what kind of guitars are you using?

I like the HT-5 series the most out of the blackstar line, i know they are supposedly the 'same amps' (and they are very simular) but i happen to like the HT-5 amps a lil more than the others. I owned a HT 100 and 20 watt head, and played the 50, and 40 watt combos -- all solid amps with good master volumes on them, but i personally prefer the HT-5 amps a lil more

Im also talking about the original no reverb versions, - Just go get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet and the HT5 is a fun lil hard rocking amp

Rock/metal USA charvels and USA jacksons

• Members

I owned a HT 100 and 20 watt head, and played the 50, and 40 watt combos -- all solid amps with good master volumes on them, but i personally prefer the HT-5 amps a lil more

Im also talking about the original no reverb versions,

Since you have had the 20 and 5 do they both have the same tone at low levels? meaning the breakup of the gain is it the same? the HT20 uses two 12ax7's and the 5 has one?

• Members

I had the HT5R, and wasn't happy with it (I play rock and metal as well). Didn't have enough gain for metal... and the amp sounded pretty "sterile" overall.

Yep. The HT 20 is the same but more watts basically. The tones are kinda dark sounding...But I will agree..Its not enough for metal without a boost. I think it would be fine for rock...But for that you would prob be better off going with a Jet City of some kind.

I wouldn't try playing with live acoustic drums with the HT 5...But the HT 20 is plenty loud to play with drums.

If you want a low budget tube rock/metal amp...Nothing beats a 6505/5150 combo.

• Members

I wouldn't say a jet city has more gain by any means. My ht-5 combo has similar gain to the JCA20 I had.

I said if you were going for an amp for rock I would just get a JCA because it has better rock tones imo. I never said it had more gain.

• Members

I've not really been a fan of the blackstar line but I played an ht20 when trying out a Gibson sg the other day and I was totally shocked at how good it sounded with low gain at quiet volume! It had that pushed power tube sound. I thought the clean channel sucked and the high gain took forever to dial in a tone that was still {censored}ing terrible. If your playing rock or acdc type stuff it's pretty cool though.

• Members
I said if you were going for an amp for rock I would just get a JCA because it has better rock tones imo. I never said it had more gain.

I like some mid-gain tones from the ht-5 but the JCA is def. more 'open' sounding.

• Members

To be honest, I got better tones, period, out of a 30w peavey vypyr than I did out of the blackstar. Dark sounding is a pretty accurate description; no amount of EQ tweaking made that amp come to life/brighten up.

I changed my preamp tubes over to Tung Sol and threw on an MXR 10 band eq. It sounded better. Still not the ideal thing I would use when there are so much better options available for similar price. I mean $200-300 in tweaking is not worth it when you can just buy a Peavey and get a great tone in one box.

• Members

My Dumble SMOKES the HT line....my two rock definitely has a better blues vibe and NOTHING beats my old pre-CBS Fender for cleans and slight breakup. (I also have a full sized harp for chorus-y crystalline cleans)

BUT....to answer your question. The HT-20 is more versatile and has a rip-snortin' gain channel. The HT-5 is great also but if this is any indication, I'm selling my HT-5 because I have an HT20. If money is a consideration and you don't need the watts, the 5 is more than fine. I got a great deal on the 20 and would probably have not gotten one if I had to pay retail.

• Members

I changed my preamp tubes over to Tung Sol and threw on an MXR 10 band eq. It sounded better. Still not the ideal thing I would use when there are so much better options available for similar price. I mean $200-300 in tweaking is not worth it when you can just buy a Peavey and get a great tone in one box.

tweak the HT line???? Put everything on 12 and start there. Honestly not sure where this is coming from. The Blackstars are tremendous at what they do....big loud hard rock tones.

• Members

tweak the HT line???? Put everything on 12 and start there. Honestly not sure where this is coming from. The Blackstars are tremendous at what they do....big loud hard rock tones.

My HT 20 is the least bright amp I've ever played without an eq boost. On top of that it doesn't nearly have enough gain for what I'm doing.

• Members

The HT5 uses the 1 preamp tube and diodes for clipping, not really sure it can be labeled as an ALL TUBE amp.

The HT20 uses both sides of both 12ax7s for clipping, and it seems like they have some kind of solid state phase inversion.

I find the ht20 / 40 / 60 to be better sounding presonally, the distortion is less "pedal" sounding. Makes less difference running totally clean though.

Id say go for the 20 if its in your budget. Im having a hard time not buying one for practice myself!

• Members

I am surprised by a lot of comments here. I think the HT20 can do metal just fine. I will try to get come clips from practice on Friday. How much gain do you all need???

It's not bad for a smaller amp. I just don't think its ideal for the price. I mean the gain is not even close to a 6505 imo.

Archived