NAD (with demo video)

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

Oh and it's a beauty.

Picked it up yesterday and today is the first chance I got to really crank it. Wowza.

Haven't tried out any different tubes yet, but it sounds totally awesome the way it is. I have some 6550s I'm gonna mess with I think, do some experimentation.

I'll probably replace the 12AX7s as well simply because they were shipped and are no namers.

Anyway, so far, I'm really happy. It's ridiculously loud, not even for 50w, for anything really. It's a monster, and has some of the best cleans I've heard. That and it's so much lighter than my Stiletto. I'm pretty sure I found my amp. Haven't gotten to play it through my 412 yet, but through my 212 it sounds amazing.

I made a quick little clip. Check it out:

Oh, it's a Peters single channel Halo, btw. :)

[video=youtube;0ts0Htq3czo]

• Members

The cleans sound really good.

Yeah, in that room, recorded cleans are always better than dirt. There's an area rug, but other than that, it's all stark wood and drywall so the dirt can get a little outta hand, still not bad though. I find that a little hair around the edges is one of those things that is a tad harsh when it's just the guitar, but works well in a mix. :idk:

• Members

Yeah, in that room, recorded cleans are always better than dirt. There's an area rug, but other than that, it's all stark wood and drywall so the dirt can get a little outta hand, still not bad though. I find that a little hair around the edges is one of those things that is a tad harsh when it's just the guitar, but works well in a mix.
:idk:

I agree with the hair around the edges thing. Im pretty picky with dirt tones. Yours sound good for what they are, just not my deal. Those cleans are stellar, though. Sounds like it has dynamics and tones on par with the Mak4 clean channel.

HNAD!!

• Members

Tried biasing it just a bit ago. Twas easy and only took a couple minutes. Tried some EHX EL34h's and they sound quite nice. To my ears, they're a little better dirty than the other ones were. (not sure, they just say "electron tube made in china EL34 B) They have an emblem on them but it's small and I can't tell what it is. The bottles themselves are bigger than the EHX one, but I don't think tone is in the bottle size. :idk: Gonna try 6550s out tomorrow.

Great tones man. Nice "Kids in the Hall" by the way

Why thank you. Yeah, KITH and Shadowy Men are some of the coolest things ever if yer askin me.

• Members

Sounds great to me, as well. Can you break down your pedalboard/signal path for us?
:idk:

Uh, I don't really like talking about my gear...

Ha. right.

Ok, this pic is in my sig but just for reference:

DSCF1439.jpg

It goes guitar (in this case a Japanese Charvel So Cal Style 1 2H) > Soulsonic buffer (little yellow/purple one) > AMT wah > EQD Phaser > NOC3 Pure Drive > Dr. Scientist Elements > EQD Tone Job eq > Dr. Scientist tremolo > Malekko 616 delay > Subdecay Spring Thory Reverb > EHX SMMH > Polytune > Amp

In the video it's straight clean on the different pickup switch positions, then it's The Elements for a bit, then I click on the NOC3 too, then I click off the Elements and click on the 616. Then, I click off the NOC3, and turn on the reverb for the KITH bit.

• Members

Got some new 12AX7's today. The ones in it definitely lost something during shipping. This thing can actually do some great overdrive. The kind that sounds great on the bridge or the neck pickup. Really fantastic sounds in this amp.

Also tried some 6550's. Whoa nelly. Talk about balls.

Keep that amp and never sell it

It's looking that way. I have band practice with my main band tomorrow then a show with my secondary band Friday so those will be the truly deciding bench tests. So far, having only cranked it in a really harsh room at home, I'm in love.

• Members

Not that it doesn't sound good, but I've got to ask, did you basically buy that amp as a clean platform for pedals?

It just seems like a bit of a waste considering what great fire-breathing deamons Peters amps are.

EDIT: I see that the Halo channel is designed to be used like that. :ignoreme:

• Members

Not that it doesn't sound good, but I've got to ask, did you basically buy that amp as a clean platform for pedals?

It just seems like a bit of a waste considering what great fire-breathing deamons Peters amps are.

EDIT: I see that the Halo channel is designed to be used like that. :ignoreme:

No no, I getcha. That's why I wanted to off my Stiletto in the first place. Tis a shame to waste a good dirt channel.

But yeah, it's a clean machine, and a sexy one at that. :-)

• Members

Just wanted to bump with a little update.

Had practice last night. Practice is like the ultimate test of any gear I get. Everything always sounds its worst at practice. Well, the Peters sounded great, looke super sexy on top of my white 1960A, and I do believe I'm in love. The depth and damping are great for when you wanna adjust your dirt, but your just not sure what it needs. :thu:

Got a show with my secondary band tonight. Definitely gigging it.

It's a beautiful piece of equipment I tell ya.

Archived